Go green

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by lawncarewizzz, May 11, 2013.

1. lawncarewizzz

lawncarewizzz LawnSite Member

WHAT DOES GO GREEN REALLY MEAN? DOES IT MEAN WE SHOULD ALL INSTALL NATIVE PLANTS? OR CHANGE OR SPRINKLERS TO DRIP IRRIGATION. OR PUT IN FAKE TURF....THEY ALL SOUND GOOD, BUT DOES IT REALLY WORK? I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR YOUR THOUGHTS.

BEST WISHES :dizzy:

2. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

it means buy a john deere mower.

3. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

In our business it might mean stop polluting the waterways with foolish application of unnecessary toxins and concetrations of fertilizers...
    but our industry RELIES on wasteful attitudes of people to keep a steady income... :)

4. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

I went all 4-cycle = trimmer & blower...so no mixed gas needed for my HHs.
    Did I win?

5. Toro 455

Toro 455 LawnSite Member

First of all posting in all caps is rude as it's considered shouting. And it's hard to read.

Second, What? Are you writing a book? I've read your posts and they're all over the place. Why are you pretending to mow lawns?

6. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

I enjoy my carbon footprint.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Toro 455

Toro 455 LawnSite Member

In answer to the original question, it means Sustainable Landscapes written about in every lawn trade magazine out there. Indigenous plantings, harvesting rainwater etc. And utilizing IPM (integrated pest management) which basically promotes exploring all natural methods of pest management before resorting to chemical applications. IPM has been the focus of every pesticide licensing class I've attended.

Going green isn't just about the color of my sox. :laugh:

8. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

footprint? I prefer tire tracks...

9. birddseedd

birddseedd LawnSite Silver Member

It measn not using a 10cyl 7.1 l diesel to pull a 14' trailer with 1 mower. You can use an electric trimmer, but that hasnt gotten to where we need it as far as performance.

solar panels on your house n such. most of hte time "going green" actually saves you money in the long run. but requires an initial investment.

10. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

there's a guy on here that went green. he had a smart car and he used all electric mowers, trimmers, and blowers. i forget what his name was. he posted pics awhile back.