Go green

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by lawncarewizzz, May 11, 2013.

1. birddseedd

birddseedd LawnSite Silver Member

They need more dealers. Several hours is a long way to go for blades or any other part. Wonder if they have a demo
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. birddseedd

They also need a bigger battery. 4 hrs isn't enough
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

I saw a recent electric bill that came to $75 at a usage rate of 620 kwh, which means electric power is costing near 12 cents per thousand watts used per hour.

According to some calculator it takes 1 kilowatt to generate 1.34 horse power, meaning that to produce 25 horses would take 18.6567 kilowatt hours... Which translates to a cost of $2.16 per hour in terms of electricity and wattage used, whether I have my math right is another story but the point is that everyone keeps forgetting to include the cost of the electricity it takes to recharge these batteries, not to mention the fossil fuels used to generate said electricity down at the power plant isn't exactly as "green" as we'd all like to think.

Then there is the cost of the batteries themselves, and the ecological complications involved in their disposal.

So maybe it's cheaper.
    And maybe it isn't.

4. birddseedd

Their mower is only 18 horse. Here in mi most of our energy is neuclear which helps fight cancer. But I'd right that there is some cost. But if you had the investment you could build solar panels and actually get a check from your power company. About 14 grand pro installed. Muck less if you do it yourself. Just do silicon cells not copper else you won't get much.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. psdnate

psdnate LawnSite Member

This is exactly what I was thinking. I would like to add what it takes to make these batteries also. I read an article awhile back that the batteries in smart cars are way worse on the environment just to make them than if you would just my a car with a gas motor. Is using electric really going "green"?

6. birddseedd

That article is quite false. It may be harmfull to make and dispose of batteries. But consider using it for 30 years. That's a lot of avoided polution.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

birdman birdman!!!

go heat!!!

really going electric is not going totally green. going green in the real defintion is getting out there and mowing with a reel mower by hand. no batteries, no gas, no emissions, no cost except for buying the reel mower.

trimming with scissors. edging with a spade. that is the real greenest way you can do it but not very efficeint.

8. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

Not exactly it depends on what you ate to get the energy to push that reel mower.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. birddseedd

wouldnt one of those long, flat, roundtiped shovles be better?

10. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

Not exactly it depends on what you ate to get the energy to push that reel mower.
    Posted via Mobile Device