Go it alone or a partner

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jusmowin, Mar 19, 2002.

1. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

Here in the last couple of months I have been thinking of asking a friend of my who has a lawn care biz like myself to partner up. We both have about the same amount of lawns (30 to 35 ), but Im wondering what the pros and cons were of having a biz partner. Would I make more money or less with a partner especially if we expand into anouther crew and other lawn care related services such lite landscaping or landscape lighting. What would you all do?
  2. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Keep your business, keep your friendship, keep separate.

Partnerships work best when 2 partners bring 2 different things to the table, such as:

When 1 guy has money and is looking for an investment. The other has ideas/ambition and looking for an investor.

When 1 guy is a designer or paperwork guy and the other guy wants to only work in the field.

I don't know if you'd make more money or less (probably less) but the ingredients as described are not the ones for a long-term, mutually benefitial relationship.
  3. I did it once.

DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kent is right on with what he wrote.
  4. P&J Lawncare

P&J Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

stay solo
  5. Stay solo. Save a friendship. I have not seen a business partnership work out long term yet. Somebody needs to be the boss.
  6. Bladewielder

Bladewielder LawnSite Member

Our company is a true lawn service partnership. It works well for us because we have good chemistry and the same goals for our company. Don't do it unless both of you want to for the same reasons and also only if you both agree that the partnership ends the second it starts adversely affecting your friendship. Being friends is more important than being business partners. Bad partnerships can ruin friendships. On the other hand good partnerships can make life easier on both people. In our company all of the "chores" are split up between the two of us. For example I don't usually grease machines but I do sharpen most of the blades. Also, taking days off is very possible as long as we schedule a light day in advance. It's not something either of us do a lot of but it is far from an impossibility. There are a lot of sole proprietors out there that are virtually chained to there mowers all season. I'd say the biggest drawback for me is splitting all the profits. But if we grow like we want to both of us will be operating our own crews anyway.
  7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Its possible to work, but not likely. Very few can make it. Most of the time friendships are lost. Too many cons to why to stay solo and not take a partner. Not very many pros.
  8. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

never again
  9. GrassCtr

GrassCtr LawnSite Member
    from south

not me!
  10. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I tend to think of partnerships in the same light as I think of hot coffee enemas.