Go to first unread post

Discussion in 'Questions, Rules, Suggestions' started by GreenMonster, Jul 30, 2004.

1. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

How come, on some threads, when I click on "go to first unread post" up at the top, next to the page #'s, it only drops me down to the third, fourth, or whatever post?

Only happens on some, though.

What defines and determines when a post is read?

2. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

I have questions about that too.....It seems to take me too far into the thread....way past the thing i last read

3. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

helllllllooooooo!!!!!! (echo, crickets chirping, etc.)

anybody there??

It's still happening and driving me NUTS! any suggestions?

4. The C Man

The C Man LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I've never had the problem you two are having so I'm not sure if this will help, but I've often wondered how most people browse through this site. Do they go to the home page and then go through forum by forum, or what? I never go to the home page. Here's what I do. My bookmark for the site is:

http://www.lawnsite.com/search.php?do=getnew

That'll bring you to a page with all the new posts in all forums since your last visit (there's usually several pages of new posts). Then I start scrolling down the page and open any thread I want to read in a new window. If it's a new thread or one I've never seen before I click on the thread title. If it's a thread I recognize and have been following, I click on the green box with the yellow arrow in it that's to the left of the thread title, and that'll open the thread and go right to the first unread post. Before I start reading them I go back to the top of the page, and click on 'Quick Links' over on the right, and then 'Mark Forums Read.' Then I read through the threads I opened in new windows and maybe reply to some, and then I'm done.

Say I finish around midnight. If I come back at 9am using the link above, I'll see all the posts made between midnight and 9am.