Goal for a day's work?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawnworks, Jun 13, 2004.

1. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

What is your goal for a days worth of work? Landscaping or lawn maintenance if there is a difference. I am really only thinking of a one crew set-up, but any other input would be interesting also.

2. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I have 55 residential lawns to mow each week. I'm solo and I try to mow 12 or 13 each day. The average lawn that I do is about 10,000 SF. Sometimes I can get 15 finished in a long day if I don't run into any problems or rain. I average about 40 minutes per lawn (including drive time) and I don't waste any time when I'm working. I do not stop for lunch on most days. As a solo operator I think you should set yourself up to average no more than 12 per day. Any more than that is really tough on you. After about 12 lawns in 90 degree heat my butt is really dragging. You also have to think about make-ups when you get rained out or have equipment problems.
    A two man operation can usually double the total number of lawns that a solo can do if they work together and don't waste time.

3. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

i get 46 jobs done in two days. Gross is about 600 per day.

trevor

4. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

I bring in alot less net profit mowing than I do landscaping. Kind of for the shear fact that I can't stand mowing yards anymore, so I just trim and edge when my friend does the mowing. But we've been having 90+ days here lately, and it's starting to take its toll once again on me.

Landscaping is a whole nothing issue. I pulled in $1500.00+ net profit in a day of landscaping before. But then again it was a 13 day.

5. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

My goals this year are going to be $1000 a day for landscaping or lawn maintenance and I am going to try to make $100 an hour.

6. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Awesome. You are the only person standing in the way of how much you make. It's all up to you!

7. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I admire your exuburance for making money, but don't set yourself up for failure. Grossing $100 per hour in this business is a lofty goal to say the least. Grossing $100 per hour for every hour worked is probably not a practical goal. I'm not trying to bust your bubble. I'm just saying that you shouldn't set your beginning goals at such a high level.

You're going to hear a lot of dollar figures bantered about on this forum and I'm sure that I am not the only one that is skeptical about the accuracy of some of the income figures that are posted. Some of the members of this forum may indeed be making the dollar figures that they claim to be making. But I would take a lot of the income info that you hear with a grain of salt. If you concentrate on quality of work and reliability..the $ will find their way into your pocket. Be patient and do superior work and you'll be very sucessfull.

8. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

My main goal for the day is that no one gets hurt and all the equipment comes home...unbroken. The rest will work itself out.

As far as money goes.......some days I make $1000.00 and some days I make $100.00. I set my financial goal on making a triple digit gross for the year. I am half way there already...................

The more you make the more you must spend. I actually realized more net when I done all the work alone. Now, it seems to be a struggle every week to just pay help and keep things moving. I'm finding the transition from solo to a crew to be very difficult. I think its more of a managing thing though. I need to learn to utilize every minute as a productive one when the crew is working. I can't always be on every job calling the shots and it hurts me financially.

Last week I went on a vacation.....Give a 3 man crew two hedge trimming jobs and one large brush clean up. They got 1 out of 3 without me returning to complete the job. Its killing me. I can go on and on.............i think you get the picture.

9. all degree

all degree LawnSite Senior Member

Treveor you post in Lawn Site a lot and seem to be a guy who knows a lot. Why are you averaging $13/ cut????

10. prizeprop

prizeprop LawnSite Senior Member

he averages $26 a cut.