Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Northernlawn, Jul 1, 2007.

1. Northernlawn

Northernlawn LawnSite Member

Did anyone set profit goals,or number of customers they wanted to get in the first years of there business?Would this help in a business plan?
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yes I think it would help, yes I did.
    Goals give us direction, they drive us, thus we need them.

One thing I did thou, to derail the possibility of disappointment is to leave the goals open, that tends to steer us clear of that feeling of failure.

For instance, instead of setting a concrete goal of 50 customers 365 days from now, you could say I would like to have X customers in a year, that sure would be nice, but if it doesn't happen then X customers is still my goal. It should be clear that if you don't come close in twice the time allowed then the plan needs revising or something else might need tuning, see what I'm saying is we're only keeping ourselves from feeling like a failure, don't allow it as a permanent excuse either thou.

If the goal is reached somewhere as intended, close enough might be good enough, closer is better and perfect would be nice, I think one tunes this to one's own personality perhaps, not sure, but I hope you get the idea.

One has to be careful not to water it down too far, so a goal it still is, but water it down just a tad so it doesn't feel like the burn of failure in the odd case should it not work out exactly like that, I think this is ok.

Good luck
  3. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Goals require us to put some sort of a plan in motion in order to reach said goals. Goals prevent us from wandering around aimlessly with no sound destination in mind. Goals, in short, are a good thing. It is important to make sure that when you set goals, you realize that the goals you set need to be attainable and not something you would never be able to accomplish in the time you set aside to reach it. Tough goals can be met, but impossible goals very rarely are. Rocognize your limitations and strengths and set your goals accordingly.
  4. Woody82986

from DFW, TX

I think I set some sort of record for using the word "goal" so many times in one paragraph...
  5. Northernlawn

Northernlawn LawnSite Member

I'm thinking my goal is only going to be about 10 -15 customers.I plan on doing it part time and keeping my regular job.
  6. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

I do not have a set number of clients - what drives my business model is profit margin.
    I forecast for 20% and have a sustained margin of about 16% - well above the national average of 7-10%.
    How one acquires these forecasts is what separates predictive revenue generation streams from simply toiling all day for nothing.
    Due to my business operation, my risk venture benchmark is no longer a 4 which is typical of small businesses. I am solidly a 2 which means banks will finance the purchaser as the business has a supporting revenue generation which is not key employee based.
    Three years maximum I will be sold out - have an extremely healthy portfolio and still be younger than 50 years of age. Then it is back to college to teach and work maybe six months out of the year while eying all that young female flesh running around the campus.
  7. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

Did you copy/paste that from a Brian Tracy book?:laugh:

I agree, goal setting is very good and Eat that Frog is Brian Tracy's best Goal setting book. The audio book is nice too, I listen it as I mow it's like 4 hours long but the book is a fast read.
  8. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

I have never met anyone that didn't have Goals, Especially Personal.

this is a werid post
  9. Woody82986

from DFW, TX

I have several friends who just wander around rather aimlessly through life, with no goals. They don't understand why they just can't seem to get things ight and make something of themselves...
  10. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

I guess that's why this seem like a werid post to me....

my childern set goals at the age of 2.

I'm sorry, I just didn't know that people didn't have goals...