1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Goats and sheep instead of a lawn mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnMower, Mar 11, 2007.

1. LawnMower

LawnMower LawnSite Senior Member

Iv heard that either goats or sheep will eat the grass perfectly level with out leaving holidays or clumps. Now if this is true, couldn't you offer that as an alternative to a lawn mower for some customers?

How about if there's a field with lots of bushes and steep hills that needs to be cleared. If you set a bunch of goats or sheep in there, wouldn't they do the job in a timely fashion?

I had a clearing job last year and there was hills and rocks with thickets. It was kind of dangerous because we couldn't get a machine in there. Just loppers and a chain saw. I could have fenced it in and set loose the animals. Come back in a week or two, and its done.

I'm bored and its the off season so I'm thinking about things.

2. Duncan90si

Duncan90si LawnSite Member

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I don't know if I have ever been that bored. This thread should get interesting.

3. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

What are you a hillbilly????

4. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Go for it! Let me know how it turns out... Better yet, give me directions so I can take a road trip and see that in person. I want to know how you would charge for that service. Per goat? Per square foot? Per load of goat droppings?

5. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

haha yeah im not gonna lie to you this is theiweirdest question i have seen in a long ass time, lol

6. ACutAbovesiny

ACutAbovesiny LawnSite Senior Member

Are the goats licensed and insured?? Are they union? These factors may affect the price. LOL.

7. Tahoe1889

Tahoe1889 LawnSite Member

Drop by the customers house and tie the goat to the tree. Tell customer I'll be back later for billy the goat. :usflag: To see the customers face that would be funny

8. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

There used to be someone on site with the signature line at the bottom that said...

"if one of these goats are missing when I get back I am going to charge you for it"

I have heard of one "organic" gardener woman doing that here in town. She comes in with her trained Pygmy goats they eat the grass while she cleans and trims. That was a couple of years ago.

I have though about training monkeys to pull weeds and clean the debris out from under plants myself and we don't even have an off season.

9. Tahoe1889

Tahoe1889 LawnSite Member

Will the Monkey speak English or Spanish??

10. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

Goats prefer brush - bushes and scrub. Sheep prefer grass - it has to do with the way their teeth are 'mounted' in their jaws. So-ooooo, you run the goats first to get the big stuff gone and then the sheep to get the grass down. BTW, the sheep do better on shorter grass.

Remember the range wars of the American West??? Cattlemen versus sheep herders? The sheep crop (eat) the grass too short for the cattle to get to. Logic could have avoided the conflict by running the cattle first and the sheep after because the sheep are capable of cropping grass more closely than cows. Men with guns and logic have never been particularly compatible. But that's another thread.......

For about 10 years I had 2 sheep who mowed my grass for me. Worked really well and became quite a tourist attraction.