GOD @$#%#$ Spark arrestor!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ProStreetCamaro, Jul 21, 2004.

1. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

AHHHHHHH I hate them! I always take them out when I buy new equipment but for some reason when i got my Echo backpack last spring I forgot to take it out. Yesterday it just got slower and slower and today it would hardly run. I knew then what the problem was. Took it apart and sure enough it was 100% clogged so i threw it away and put the blower back together. Started right up and blew harder than ever.

Anybody here take there's out? Or anybody just never had any problems with them?

2. youngdude

youngdude LawnSite Member

Right after i buy 2cycle stuff i take out the spark arrestor. I wonder if those people fighting those fires just junk the spark arrestor when they get clogged up or if its really strict to put a new one in???HUMMM, something to think about.

3. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

first thing we do is chuck that useless thing to the trash,they run so much better after...

4. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Huh????:confused: ;) ;)

5. kemmer

kemmer LawnSite Senior Member

what is a spark arrestor? i have a redmax 7000, how do i take it out, will it make it more powerfull? if s0 can anyone take a pic of how to take it out?

6. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

Its a screen cover inside the exhaust pipe. Looks like a miniature window screen.

7. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Young dude, I don't understand your question?

8. kemmer

kemmer LawnSite Senior Member

how do i take it out?

also there must be a purpose to this screen if they put it there?

9. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

in my 14 years of experience, I've only had a real problem with echo equipment when it comes to the spark arrestor. I don't remove it until i have a problem.
    On my red max equipment, I;ve either never had a problem with it after years of use (my blower is 6 years and counting, never touched it), or its a quick fix on a redmax trimmer.... the screen is right there in the opening of the muffler, you can scrape it with a screwdriver without taking anything apart at all. Echo you have to take everything apart, especially the dumd plastic shields that never ever fit back together the way they were.......

10. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

I'm not sure if you can take it out of a red max. with that brand, i don't think there is a need to.