Godaddy.com

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Allens LawnCare, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Allens LawnCare

Allens LawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I'm sure this sounds stupid but I just bought my domain name through Go-Daddy.....Any advise. What to use hints/tips etc......Not really sure what I'm doing...Thanks for the help

2. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

look at my site i use them for the domain buying and hosting each month

3. Turboguy

Turboguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I would rate GoDaddy as the best choice by far for Domain names but personally I would rate them far below average for hosting. I have two sites hosted with them which will both be pulled if I ever get the time.

Frontier, not bad for a home made job. Since I own property in North Port and could end up your neighbor if I ever decide to retire I will be nice to you. Actually I am usually nice to everyone all the time anyway. You have some good things on your site but might want to work on getting a logo on the top of the home page and work on the links a bit as well as getting content on some of the blank pages. Still, not bad! I just took a quick glance so I will stop there.

4. Frontier-Lawn

i used smox pad to edit one of the gopher web templetes that they have.

5. Frontier-Lawn

also what blank pages are you talking about?

and i reather save the $1,000+ on a web design like this site probly spent http://www.artistree.com/ and save it for a good new ZTR :drinkup:

6. Turboguy

Turboguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I looked again and it wasn't blank. The links page was what I saw and there were actually a few links on there but at a glance it looks empty.

If Artistree only spent a grand he got a good deal. I just glanced at the home page but it looked like it would convert enough extra business to pay for a complete ZTR in no time. So you are saying saving a thousand is better than increasing your business enough that you earn an extra $ 20,000 or $ 30,000 a year?

Really your site is decent. I think there might be a few things that could improve it but all in all you did a good job. I have no ax to grind one way or the other. I do my own websites but that is it.

7. Frontier-Lawn

we i have no prob with this
    i just have a prob with having time to do any more lawns then what just i can handle right now. wife has new job 38 miles away (one way) and i have to now work mowing to when she's off and watching the kids when she's working.

and is cool i like axe's :laugh: :waving: :drinkup:

8. cbscreative

cbscreative LawnSite Member

Back to the original question, GoDaddy is a good choice for domains and not so much for hosting just as Turbo says, but I will offer some important advice. Have a list of domains you would like to get BEFORE doing a search. Once you do the search, register the ones you want IMMEDIATELY. They will disappear in as little as a couple hours if you don't. Register both the .com and .net if they are available. All the others like .info and .biz are a waste IMO. It's a good idea to get the Private Registration, but all the other extras are just a way to line the pockets of GoDaddy.

9. Frontier-Lawn

i had no choice but to get the .biz, i wanted .com for me but a outdoor rec company took it already because i named the company before a search.

so addition to what you said; after you pick a domain name then name you company after that web name not the other way around, if you 100% want a .com and not a .biz.

10. Allens LawnCare

Allens LawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Currently I'm a dot nothing....just figured I'd buy it while it was available.........