gofer moles! how to kill???

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by krustyfire, Jan 24, 2006.

1. krustyfire

krustyfire LawnSite Member

Would like some advice on gofer moles, I have a property that I take care of and it is loaded with gofer moles I have tried everthing I can find to kill them... that I can get over the counter that is:confused: . Any suggestions would help.

2. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

have you tried Talprid? I have heard alot of good things about it

3. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

What, pray tell, is a gofer mole? Is it a mole? Is it a gopher? Or some odd hybrid?

If it's a mole, Talpirid does indeed work. If it's a gopher, I can't help. :waving:

4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Right either it is a mole or a gofer but not one in the same.A mole will leave alot of soil outside their entry and exit holes and a gofer will leave like raised
    lines like something raising up the sod from below where they are going.You can follow them all around.A gofer will have its tunnels invisible under the ground and you only see it's entry and exit holes with a round doughnut of soil around it.
    Now
    which do ya got?

5. diane2ar

diane2ar LawnSite Member
    from 72023

someone told me to find a hole dump kerosine in let sit for 30 minutes and then light a match........said it will suck all the air out of the holes and kill the little suckers......has anyone tried this??????????

6. yardprospraying

yardprospraying LawnSite Member

Are you serious!! I have now heard it all.

As stated before, if it is a mole then talprid is good. If it is a gopher, then you will have to get rid of its food source, and use poison pellets. We have noticed that most gophers are after grubs. We see most gopher damage in lawns where the grub population is the greatest.

Good luck, and please take everyones advice with a grain of salt!

John..

7. CALL this guy , he can help you.

meetbill.jpg

8. Frank Fescue

Frank Fescue LawnSite Senior Member

what the hell are you Wyle E. Coyote? Elmer fudd? whatever you do dont stick a shotgun down there, rodents are good at grabbing the gun and sticking it out through another hole so you wind up shooting yourself in the butt.

9. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

MOLES eat worms and grubs. The mis-advice you get most of the time is to treat the lawn for grubs and the moles will leave. Wrong... A moles diet is made up of something like 75% earthworms too. No products out there that will kill earthworms, er, I should say that are "labeld" to kill them.

Gophers eat roots of grass and trees, also flower bulbs, etc. There's no way to "remove the food source" for a gopher, unless you want concrete for a lawn.

Talporid, the worm biats, I hear work great for moles, as for gophers, there are poisions, but good old trapping works the best.