Goggles and Earmuffs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Vibe Ray, May 23, 2001.

1. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

Just thought I'd let you guys know I now use safety goggles and earmuffs w/ 20db protection. The goggle completely encase the eyes and don't allow anything in. They work much better than typical safety glasses and they have antifog wents on the sides that work great. With the safety glasses, stuff still got past them, but not anymore wth the goggles. And about the earmuffs, sooner or later I'll get either Elvex or Peltors with the built-in radio. My questions? Does anyone else use safety goggles? And also I've seen some muff radios that have what they call a "communication channel"....what does that mean? Are they like walkie talkies?

2. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

Hey vibe ray,

How about posting a pic of you with the goggles and ear muffs on.

3. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

LOL....Yah, I was thinkin' I probably look like some kinda alien to an innocent bystander, but it sure does help!!! I can't let that stop me!
    BTW: I only use the goggles and earmuffs when mowing with my Lazer and I just use ear plugs and regular safety goggle when trimming, edging, and blowing.

4. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Vibe Ray,
    I have many pairs of "muffs" courtesy of my friends at Northwest Airlines. I only use then when it is cool outside. They create alot of sweat in the summer so I use foam plugs then.

The goggles are a good idea, but even with the vents I would imagine they are hot. During clean-ups I bet they would be alot better than the glasses.

I second the motion for the photograph.

5. TFL

TFL LawnSite Member

the communication channel on the ear muffs is like a walkie talkie

6. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

I think you have a much greater chance of getting something in your eye when trimming more so than mowing. I think you have the glasses and goggles usage backwards personally.