Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by flakebortch, Jun 24, 2008.

1. flakebortch

flakebortch LawnSite Member

It's exceedingly rare, but I forgot to put on my goggles when using the trimmer (on my own lawn, no less). Within 10 seconds a rock flew up and pelted me in the eye. It felt like someone punched me in the eye. Let that be a lesson.
  2. cej93

cej93 LawnSite Member

Well, I am glad you just felt like you got punched in the eye and not worse. It's cool that you posted this as a reminder for others not to forget. Hope you aren't too sore from that experience.

Take Care and be safe.
    Eric :usflag:
  3. Green Finger

Green Finger LawnSite Senior Member

I am also glad about the thread. I don't cut without safety glasses or earmuffs. Can't afford to get old and not hear my children.

How many of you guys use ear muffs? Protect yourselves.

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

i wear earmuffs and they play music also. i never cut without them

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

I dont wear earmuffs but I ALWAYS wear earplugs and saftly glasses.
  6. RhettMan

RhettMan LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

i just wear glasses how many of you guys wear the full face chemistry-class type goggles?
  7. mitw44

mitw44 LawnSite Member

I always wear at least safety glasses (sunglass dark or an indoor/outdoor tint on cloudy days) and ear plugs.

If the wind is blowing grass in my face or the yard is dusty I will put on the chemistry-lab style goggles. I also keep a few dust masks in the truck if there is a lot of dust or grass blowing around. They come in handy when I am bagging as part of a spring cleanup.

Most of the time I wear steel-toe boots and light weight long pants as well.
  8. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Has anyone used these on big timming jobs or with a chain saw, etc?

9. MowHouston

MowHouston LawnSite Bronze Member

No way. Those things are so silly. How much do you actually have coming back at your face when felling a tree.

I actually dont wear any protection. I hope I get deaf so I dont have to hear little kids screaming around the house. Ahh. Those will be the days!

I do listen to my ipod though.
  10. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I wasn't talking about general trimming. I have some large area's that safety glasses are not adequate. I mean a small rock can put a place on your face in a hurry. I have one ditch line that is rough. I need to get rid of it but it pays well. Lots of small rocks that you hit no matter how careful you are. I also use a blade on my own wooded lot. The silly look would not matter. I had a helper get hit pretty hard one time.