1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

goin in'

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by texas, May 1, 2006.

1. texas

texas LawnSite Member

im buyin a cat 16 ton ex, decked out for $150000 to begin a new work. farmers always need canals cleaned out and there is PLENTY of other work with all the new houses being built. if they want it done, ill do it.

my question is, should my next piece of equipment be a 226 skid (will come in handy for hurricane cleanups next year) or a 3 ton cat mini ex?

what will be more profitable? for price reasons, they'll both be decked out with a/c cab ect. it'll be about a $10000 price difference, w/ the skid cheaper.:)

2. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

what will be more profitable: Thats easy, Not running CAT would be a great start:clapping:

3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Do you have something to move a Cat 308 with? Your going to want a small dump with tag trailer.

Just FYI, Scag48 just picked up a Cat 312 for about $30k cheaper than your 308...Might want to shop a little more.

4. bobcat9957

bobcat9957 LawnSite Member

Wouldnt the 16 ton machine with a thumb be like the ultimate cleanup machine. But in my opinion a small dozer like a D3 would be the most useful if you plan to do house lots etc. We use that machine alot. Quite a few landscapers in the area find it cheaper to hire us for the day than try to spread fill or loam with a skid or mini. Well theres my .02.

5. DKinWA

DKinWA LawnSite Member

The 16 ton machine is the Cat 315 which is the next size up from the 312. At $150K, I'm sure it's got all the bells and whistles.

6. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Heh, your right, For some reasion I was thinking 308 because I thought he said 16k pounds .Its been a long hot day and I broke two septic mains. Typical mondays.

:(

7. DKinWA

DKinWA LawnSite Member

I guess may day wasn't so bad after all:)

8. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

Hey............;)

9. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

You better watch out Kaiser, I can be in Idaho faster than nobody's business. Hahaha. Sorry I didn't get pics of our new machine guys, too busy making $$$!!! All I can say, however, is that the machine is awesome. Our buckets show up this week and our sales guy is delivering our new laser, we ended up getting a stick mounted receiver to go with it for digging footings, etc.

As far as this thread originally goes, I'm not sure how you can compare profits between a 16 ton 315 and a <12 ton mini excavator and a skid steer. However, we run the gamut, and the 312 is way more fun, I mean more profitable, yeah.

10. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Yes Caterpillar is the most expensive brand to buy on the planet Cat has to add another 10 grand just for the Yellow paint and the Cat name :laugh:

When I looked through the spec's on the 16 ton size machine the Kobelco SK160LC its one of the better machines. A contractor I work for has one it definatly out digs the 160 Hitachi and Deere.

The contractors here use the 16 ton machines the most because they are able to carry them on a tag trailer behind a tandem axle dump truck. It saves lowbed charges which saves the customer 600-800 dollars having a lowbed company moving the machine around.