1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Going 4 cycle for handhelds

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by Greyst1, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Greyst1

Greyst1 LawnSite Senior Member

Well, i'm over the 2 cycle engines, mixing oil, and any other BS that comes along with 2 cycle.

So, following suit with my equipment choices i chose a mfg that's not widely used or spoke about on here. I just bought a Dolmar 7601.4 4 cycle blower. Bought it off of ebay (for all you dealer roadies out there, i can wrench so i certainly don't need dealer service nor do i want their service) for $365 delivered so i'm stoked.

Out of the box, totally satisfied. Blower seem very well made, i like that they have rubber mounts on the engine and blower housing, automotive style air filter, the throttle control has a poke-e-yoke assembly to it, comfy rubber grip, cruise control, and the materials used just feel higher quality especially over my 1st blower (Stihl BR600). Lighter than my Shindy EB802 which makes for easy carry on n off.

Here are some pics:

2. Greyst1

Prob gonna pick up a Dolmar 4 cycle trimmer tomorrow so stay tuned.
  3. ryan41

ryan41 LawnSite Senior Member

Why don't you like 2 cycle equipment?
  4. TeamYardsale4

TeamYardsale4 LawnSite Senior Member

I love my 4 cycle John deere blower!!! Nice purchase
  5. Greyst1

I started off with Stihl 4 mixes and to be honest i found them to be very temperamental, carbs were expensive and so was the oil. The FS90 was heavy and the BR600 was light which was nice none the less they are expensive to buy and maintain.

Sold that off and went shindy, which i was very satisfied with shindy. In this case, the trimmer was light (T242) and the blower (EB802) was heavy. My EB802 ran flawless other than weight however the T242 was just a pain in the d!ck to start. All in all, buying oil, mixing, keeping sep cans (which i'll still have to do for saws n multitool), fuel econ, and dealing with carbs, i'm just over it.

I have no proof to validate what i'm about to say but i believe with 4 cycle equipment i can get more carb life out of them. Now i know i'll get more fuel econ for sure. The carb life, we will see.
  6. Signature Landscaping1

Signature Landscaping1 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Dolmar makes a great product. I have a dolmar saw that has lasted me forever.
  7. LandscaperPro

LandscaperPro Sponsor

Tired of mixing gas? What about buying gas? Or having to carry a small gas can with you at all times? Or worrying about the carb being adjusted or gummed up? Even buying replacement air filters. You can actually say goodbye to all of these things.

Interested? Check this out!
  8. ryan41

ryan41 LawnSite Senior Member

Its not that big of a deal to mix gas. it takes seconds... charging a battery takes an hour or so. I feel that a crew may forget to check the oil on the 2 cycle handhelds.
  9. LandscaperPro

LandscaperPro Sponsor

Some other advantages of going Gasless would be:
    1. Not worrying about using ear protection, you can carry a conversation while running Core products. Some places have noise ordinances that may prevent you from using your equipment sometimes hours after you want to get started.
    2. Less vibration, hands can almost feel like they're numb after hours of holding gas powered equipment.
    3. Zero maintenance, ok you need to charge a battery. No rebuilding or adjusting carbs, changing air filters, fouling plugs, YOU KNOW IT'S GOING TO WORK EACH TIME YOU PICK IT UP.
    4. Did I refill my gas can? What gas, you don't use it for these items anymore. Gas prices are going to go up and "Whoops!" you just spilt $2 worth of it.
    5. It will PAY FOR ITSELF! Every gas can you don't fill up is money in your pocket. Save gas for your motorcycle or boat.

Disadvantages........I guess you can't wake up that pesky neighbor at 7 a.m.
  10. Arena landscaping

Arena landscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from wayne

Well no one makes a gas back pack blower or a power full trimmer believe me my dad bought one it sucks. also when its all said and done you are in it over $600 for one trimmer! Not only that but the break so easily. Drop one battery one no now your out $200. Also you only get 30 minutes with stihls batteries on one charge. And any good gas engine will last some much longer than any electric engine especially the batteries.