Going around trees with ZT?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by BarnOwl, Mar 7, 2005.

1. BarnOwl

BarnOwl LawnSite Member

Well, I got my first Toro Z a couple of weeks ago and coming from a mid-deck tractor it is very different.
    Allthough we had a late season pack of snow here I managed to testdrive it a bit and I really like the feel of it.
    One thing I find pretty hard is doing a perfect turn around a tree. I have an orchard of old prunes, apple and pear trees and this is one of the reasons I got a Z mower.

Do you guys make a full turn around the tree or make a half turn and the other coming back? And is there a trick worth knowing here?
    I found it pretty hard to do a perfect 360 in one go without going too wide, touching the tree with the deck or stopping the inside wheel which damaged the grass. Mind you, I only drove the darn thing about 10 minutes in this late season winter here............

2. Advance The Man

Advance The Man LawnSite Member

Maybe you just need practice. I was able to do a 360 first time. You may have been going too fast, just let up a little bit.

3. dlh2

dlh2 LawnSite Member
    from Pace Fl

My technique is to go slow and don't move the outside wheel lever, just slow down the inside wheel.

4. bushtrimmer

bushtrimmer LawnSite Senior Member

it does depend on what size deck you have also. A 60" deck is a lot easier going around a tree than a 52" which seems to bind up the tree between the deck and the tire.

5. BarnOwl

BarnOwl LawnSite Member

Well, not being a commercial mower and having a lot of porches, trees and flowerbeds I choose the most compact Z Master, the 147. It has a 42" deck and this might be part of the problem.

As soon as the grass is less soddy, I'll practise a bid more. I will go slower and the tip of slowing down the inner wheel looks good.

Thanks for the feedback............ :)

6. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Groetjes. Houdt u beoefenen en beoefenen bij...

I generally go all the way around trees, unless if the trees are very small. Your biggest problem will be trying not to tear up the sod when turning, especially if the grass is a bit wet, or if it is in the shade. You'll have to keep an eye on that inside tire, and try to keep it moving, either forward, or backwards. It will be very easy to make sharp 180 degree turns, but to do it without damaging the grass isn't so easy. Oh... and try not to run into trees!

Het succes... Houdt u uit de kanalen bij!

7. BarnOwl

BarnOwl LawnSite Member

Dank je wel, Critical Care! :waving:

So there are Dutch speaking people here........
    Yeah, practice it will be the next weeks. Actually we had a record breaking late snowfall and cold here (century record). So I have not been able to practice a whole lot. Can't wait till the weather brakes.