1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Going big

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by double e, Aug 6, 2003.

1. double e

double e LawnSite Member

We are currently pushing a little over 200 accounts- 90 percent residential-
    Thinking of growing a bit next year-
    I might tackle some larger accounts- possibly mobile home parks, and large common areas, and malls

I hate sending 2 guys to cut 30 different places in one day- when I can send them to 1-3 places

Currently working on an acount for state- 175 acres of open cutting- Nice job for my Case IN

What are your thoughts
  2. BBS

BBS LawnSite Member

175 acres of open cut... That's a mowers dream isn't it? ;)

as far as going after more accounts,why not? You're established so just hire a few more guys and there really shouldn't be much thought process involved
  3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

the only concern that I would have is the quality and personal attention that you can provide to this extra accounts. I would first ask myself , "Can I maintain these extra accounts with falling behind in work, quality suffering, able to still offer additional services and other the same personal attention."
  4. double e

double e LawnSite Member

Tideman- Thats my biggest concern- I have the equipment, employees shouldn't be a problem- Worried about quality of work.

I have a chance to bid on 1 proposal- 9 mobile home parks- string trim common areas only- I heard its running about $300,000 per year- sounds nice but alot of preperation.

I figure 6-8 more employees off the back-
  5. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Its a mowers dream if the amount of money you keep makes you have dreams instead of nightmares....;)

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

are these the mobile home parks that COPS tapes there shows in:gunsfirin
  7. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

Had a few lco's fold up here gettin bigger, and hirin more employees. IMO....the more employees, the less the quality, an the more complaints.

Theres always an exception, just make sure your the exception
  8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Good luck. Watch the cash flow.
  9. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

If you can do it then go for it! The only possible problems I see are: any problems you currently have may just get worse, more employee issues less time for you unless you find crew leaders that can handle the employees. Best of luck to you in whatever you decide.