Going Cheap on the Mower?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RollTide11, Apr 8, 2008.

1. RollTide11

RollTide11 LawnSite Member

I'm currently cutting only about five lawns a week, they are fairly big, but its just five. I'm going to buy a new lawn mower and was considering the JD 245. It is a residential for about 4,000. Do you think it will hold up for five years? The warranty is only 120hrs. Would you buy it? Please Help!

2. TomberLawn

TomberLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

You could probably find a decent used commercial mower for the same price. It might have a few more hours on it, but it will last longer anyway. Are you talking about a GT245 or EZ245? I'm assuming EZ425 since they don't make the GT anymore and the EZ has a 120 hr warranty (which most likely does not cover any commercial use). Do you know approx. how many hours it will be used each year? Keep in mind that these mowers are made to be used on one yard, so using it on 5 yards for 5 years is like 25 years of use. I kind of doubt any residential mower would last 25 years, except for the old stuff that was built when metal was cheap.

3. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

For $4000.00 you could find a great used mower or even a demo unit with a few hours on it from a dealer.

Shop around. That much money will get you an almost new walk behind.

4. FromtheGroundUp

FromtheGroundUp LawnSite Member

i would stay away from any residential or simi-commercial mower.it will be dead in a few years. i think even the highest quality commerial mower is going to give some trouble in five years time. however you could purchace a good commerical 52" wb, maybe add a sled to save on all that walking. that will let you get started.

5. FromtheGroundUp

FromtheGroundUp LawnSite Member

by the way War Eagle

6. buttaluv

buttaluv LawnSite Senior Member
    from MidWest

If speed matters at all, get the similiar sized W/B, they will mow circles around a riding lawn tractor

7. RollTide11

RollTide11 LawnSite Member

I was going to value your opinon until I read your last post. Ha!

8. DeereHunterMF09

DeereHunterMF09 LawnSite Member

If you were closer by id sell you my bobcat for 3500. its a 54" With a kawasaki got about 400 hours on it but id be willing to bet itd last longer than that deere. I'm close to trading it for an IS2000 Ferris but 3500 is what the dealer offered me so id sell it for that. Its a 2004 Model. But I'd definetly go commercial over that residential. My dealer has one sitting in the showroom and he's not a very big 18 year old and he can flip the Z Over Backwards- its made out of nothing

9. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

I was just looking at the Z445 and 465 myself. For the price I wouldn't mind having one if it would last a few yrs or 1500 hrs. We need to find someone who uses one. But I would stay away from the 225 series they are to small.
    The 445 has a 23 kohler i think and the 465 25 kawasaki on a 48inch deck I could use it in tight spaces my big mowers don't like.

10. VT MOWER

VT MOWER LawnSite Member
    from Vermont

I was looking at the JD z445 as well. The salesman told me that for 2008 the warrany now covers commercial and residential use. I have also been told to consider spending some extra dough and go with a exmark lazer ct 23hp with 54" deck. My dealer here quoted $6,629 but said he was going to talk to his sales rep to see if they could find a dealer demo from last year still kicking around.

Doing my homework before I spend the money to get started up this year (part time).

GREAT SITE GUYS!!