Going Commercial

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by forestfireguy, Nov 7, 2007.

1. forestfireguy

forestfireguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

Here is our situation, we currently run one maintenance crew doing a 25/75 split of commercial and residential lawn maintenance. We are ready to dive into a full steam ahead run into commercial maintenance. We will keep our residential crew since it's a 2 man crew and they bring in somehwere around 180k yr. We are looking to keep our commercial crew at about 225 K with a 3 man crew. My question here is how do you handle drive time, we are about 1 hour away from the prime industiral and office park area. We are curious how do you charge for your drive time? Normally we just build it in at the same rate as cutting/trimming, however we know we are going into a very competitive market and wonder if we might be better off to charge less for travel time and make it up on the extras, mulch, fert, color, pruning and such. Last question, for those doing alot of this kind of work, are you having your maint crew handle all of these "extras" or are sending a seperate crew out for the "detail work"?

2. barefootlawnsandlandscape

barefootlawnsandlandscape LawnSite Senior Member

We do a lot of commercial work. Most of the commercial accounts around here are on a 12 month contract that includes mowing, weed control and fert., mulch, annual flowers, bed maintenance, and irrigation maintenance. We have a mowing crew and a bed crew for all of the commercials. We send the bed crew around every two weeks to weed and pick up trash that the mowing crew doesn't get. I have the landscape crew install the mulch and flowers and my irrigation foreman take care of the irrigation.

As for the drive time, that is something you have to figure into your price. It may put you behind the eight ball against your competitors.

Good Luck!

3. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

something todd forgot to mention... (because hes young and new to this).... you might want to build or rent a shop next to or closer to these commercial accounts if youre going to have a lot in that area.

4. barefootlawnsandlandscape

barefootlawnsandlandscape LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for helping that guy out you greasy old veteran.

5. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

theres a reason why i get so many pm's asking for help and all the local guys bring their walkers to me. maybe some day you can be big time like me, too, todd, and have a nice BIG ford. lol!