1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Going commercial...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by The Amateur, May 5, 2008.

1. The Amateur

The Amateur LawnSite Member

Great site packed with info - THANKS! I have been taking care of a handful of residential properties for about 3 years - mostly as side work. One season I worked full time in the lawn business. Due to drought and personal issues last season, I basically let my few clients go. Now, I would like to get into it again and want to follow the commercial route. I am looking into some State and local Gov contracts. My question is, have any of you got into Gov work WITHOUT first working some commercial accounts prior to the gov contracting? The contracts I have seen address experience. My goal is to not get in too deep and still maybe work some type of "regular" job PT or FT. Any advice would be appreciated!
  2. TandM

TandM LawnSite Senior Member
    from south

bumping this one up
  3. NOOB

NOOB LawnSite Member

check out another thread about a DUNS # that will build your credit and also alow you to bid on gov. contracts
  4. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

It can be difficult...

Here In Houston Texas we have the METRO bus system...."Governmant"

I have been after them for a while however, due to my Co. NOT being worth 1.5 million.
    I'm out in the cold
  5. The Amateur

Thanks guys! Keep it coming! I appreciate this well of info to draw from.

6. The Amateur

Ok fellas! I got a couple of commercial jobs going. I got the lawn work for a city / county building (homeless shelter) - admittedly I had someone on the "inside". I have a gas station and potentially another. I'm going to do a hotel Tuesday! It's a start!

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I haven't had much luck with anything but owner-operated affairs, that is, the type of business where I speak and deal directly with the one person who always has been, always is, and always will be ultimately responsible for their company's liability. I have had little luck with managers, supervisors, presidents, CEO's or any other folks who may feel very important and certainly do fulfill an important position but in the end never have to take ultimate responsibility for their actions.

That, as an owner-operator myself has been my biggest challenge, is dealing with folks who are basically wannabe owners.
    It isn't about contempt, it is about understanding the direct relationship between financial liability and the ultimate responsibility of said liability... To put it bluntly, when a machine of mine goes down, I carry the entire liability... With an association it's a central account and thus it doesn't directly affect any member but perhaps in the way of shared dues, still it's not the same feeling when 1-200 members face a 4,000 dollar expense than when I face it by myself.
    There is far less of a financial impact, and when that happens there is less in the way of individual responsibility, and so not only does the liability tend to be minimized in the compromise, but to conclude this out there are but so many things I can tolerate in the way of argumentative BS before my foot ends up someone's tail, heh.

Then there's the contracts and the bidding... And the terms of the compromise... Way I see things they're either going to catch sticker shock, or they're getting what they pay for, one way or the other but not both. Once it comes down to price, as customers we compromise. We either stop calling this company every time our butt itches, or we accept sub-standard quality on the serviced area(s), or we pay more. But many folks don't see that, even when they say they do, but they don't.

So then it boils down to resources, that is, a staffed office in a building with employees who can handle this.
    But by myself, no way, no how, I don't have the time to deal with association members on an individual basis to try and fulfill each of their individual needs, that doesn't work from a solo stand point.

I put in a bid on one such affair this year, but we'll see...
  8. Ooomwizard

Ooomwizard LawnSite Senior Member
    from atlanta

The municiple & city (gov type) bids are FULL of hoops to hurdle. First there can be the insurance, licensing, bonding, registration, EEOC, and preferred resident resourcing requirements, then you have to show you have to have the equipment to cover the job, then you have to be the lowest bidder.

I couldn't qualify for some big jobs that were being put to bid. And the little jobs aren't worth the red tape hassle.

Don't mean you can't try tho....
  9. The Amateur

Thanks for all the input!