going commercial

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BVLAWNCARE, Oct 21, 2004.

1. BVLAWNCARE

BVLAWNCARE LawnSite Member

Hey guys, i just finished my commercial sales letters and I used a business book to help so i am pretty sure that they are eye catching. I am planning on sending it to schools, aorartments, townhomes and small businesses. Do you recommend that I mail it to the company now? Or should I go in the building meet wit people? Should I include my bid price in the letter? Should I mail the letter then go talk to people? Do I mail the letter in the companies name or should I find out the property managers name? I am obviously new at commercial lot biidding, please help!

2. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

There is not a magical right answer. It will vary from market to market. In my area you would get zero response to your letters. Here the commercial accounts will contact you if they want a bid. Your letter would end up in the trash. But like I said. Different in every market. I would attempt to contact the property manager if I were you.

3. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

I am with Avery- Nothing beats face to face meetings with the person in charge of the property - That is the only way you can sell your self and what you can do for them - Otherwise they will just take the lowest bid and you will be out.

I have a 3 ring binder with pictures of a lot of properties we do, and they each have a purpose. One shows a very long area (about 3/8 mile) that shows that we make very straight lines, angle mow, etc. Another shows a curbed property to show how we trim curbs and chain link fences. Another shows a very steep, narrow ditch to show that we can contour mow ditches, Another shows a property with many obstacles to show we keep angles and lines in tack on both sides.

Another shows a property next to our that is not fertilized, and ours which is to give them a good reason to go the extra step to "lay the green carpet" - I tell them that they have spend big bucks on the landscaping, and it is obvious they have some pride in their yard, but it is like building a new house - You have all the new windows in, the doors are hung, and the trim is stained, but you just have plywood floors at this point - Lets lay the carpet.

Thanks, Brad