Going door to door

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by General Landscaping, Feb 24, 2006.

?

Will going door to door hurt your image?

1. You might as well have a beer and a smoke with you.

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  2. Use it only when absolutley necessary.

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  3. No problem as long as apperance and presentation are good.

9 vote(s)
    45.0%
  4. Great interactive marketing tool.

5 vote(s)
    25.0%
  5. Stay the hell off my property!

5 vote(s)
    25.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Is going door to door with a brief introduction, flyer, and biz card considered too "low rent" when you are trying to sell good service (not low prices)?

At the moment, anything over $500 to advertise is out of the question unless it will 99% bring the results I need.
    I have a time surplus and a money crisis:cry:

I need a very focused marketing approach to save $$$$ and keep a tight route.

For this year, I only need 30 more regular residential maintenance accounts ($90-$100/mo) to keep things going.

2. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

The biggest question to ask yourself is if this is the right season for you to begin if you only have $500 in marketing funds, but door-to-door seems to be effective to about a 3% return rate for a good closer. A little trick is to skip every other house on the right hand sidewalk of a neighborhood and return for the remaining houses two days later. This technique, if done properly, can raise a return rate noticebly. Keep in mind that the experienced contactor will invest between $50-$75 per acquisition. Utilize resources to establish a budget or I guarantee will not succeed.

3. JWTurfguy

JWTurfguy LawnSite Senior Member

Door-to-door is a great way of picking up business. After all, it puts you right there on the property so that you're in a position to explain just what it is that you can do for their individual lawn.

Keep it brief and simple....maybe you can explain that you service X-amount of other properties in the neighborhood (assuming that this is true) and that you'd simply like to give them a free estimate. You don't want to be a nuisance, so obviously you can't always force them into a long, drawn-out presentation. Give them a flyer, business card, etc and ask them when would be a good time to return and talk further. It's time consuming, but from what you wrote, it would seem that you have more time than budget right now.

One last note--show consideration for the personal security of the homeowners. It's a pet peeve of mine when I come home and have something stuck in my door (flyers, etc) unless it's done in a way that's not visible from the street. From your point of view, you're thinking that you've simply left an advertisement. From the homeowner's point of view, you've just announced to everyone around that you're not home (how would you feel if someone's house was broken into because of that?).

Just a few points to consider...

4. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

For the sake of covering ground, do you knock, place your info, and start heading back down the drive? :walking: Or do you give 'em a while to get to the door before heading out?:sleeping: (assuming there are no blatantly obvious signs of someone home)

5. dsmrolla06

dsmrolla06 LawnSite Senior Member

Why would skipping one side raise your return rate? Im hiring a few guys to door knock for me. Theyll run threw a sales pitch, give them magnetic business cards and a brochure. If noones home, i place a bag on the door with the card and brochure in it.