Going door to door

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by chevyman1, Dec 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chevyman1

chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member

Let me ask you this...are people receptive to you knocking door to door in a neighborhood and giving quotes right there...for example, I plan in January here in the Saratoga/Clifton Park NY area to knock on a door, give a sheet about myself if they answer and say "if you are interested I can give you a quote now" and also say things like "are you currently using a service? if so, may I ask what you pay them, I typically beat others in prices and always beat them in quality"...if they aren't they, I'm going to hang a doorknob ad

2. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

How do you profitably accomplish this? What does it matter what they were paying before? Im interested to hear this, please share.

3. way to grow

way to grow LawnSite Member

I think knocking doors is a great way to get customers. I started my own business this fall, and knocked doors for a total of approximately 15-20 hours and gathered 40 customers! Not too bad for the time I put into it.

4. chevyman1

What do you mean "how do I make a profit"? When I see a crook taking people's money for $50, and I offer 40-45, that's another account for me, better savings for the customer, and I do a better job with the lawn and trimming...everyone wins...and to the "olderthandirt" guy, you are an ahole...

5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Quite jujmental arn't you? "When I see a crook taking people's money for $50, and I offer 40-45, that's another account for me, better savings for the customer" No thats lowballing and how does everyone win? the guy that was doing them does not win!
    Your 26? been in business 11 yrs. See thats not possable because you can't own a business till your 18 so the most you could have been in business is 8 yrs and yet you ask questions that anyone in there ist or 2nd yr should know. I do believe that you might just be a little snot nose low baller that has no idea of what he's doing :gunsfirin

happy holiday
    Mac

6. chevyman1

here's the truth Mr. Spelling Bee winner...I worked for a friend who had a business for years in high school and college...the past 3 years I've continued mowing on the side but for myself. Now I am expanding from the 12 or so accounts to around 40-50 and 1 development and 1 cemetary. I have a brother in college who will be working for me full time, and I will continue to work at night and on weekends. 26-15 in case your math is as good as your spelling is 11 years. And guess what? if you are one of those places taking people's money, you should be ashamed. If not, you have no worry about a guy like me. I even acquired one of my accounts this year going next door right after the landscaping company left. I said "how much do they charge you per week" the wife replied "$50 and we are on a 1 year contract"...I told her next year, if they were interested I'd do it for $40, and my proof of quality is right across the street...layup my friend, absolute layup, everyone wins except the crooks...trust me, I grew up on a farm, have the machinery background...4 years of college and I have the business savvy and background, and 4 years as a corporate sales account manager, and I have the sales expertise to put some people out of business and myself on top....boo hoo if you can't keep up

7. olderthandirt

from here

Afraid of you? 4 yrs of college 4 yrs as a corporate sales account manager and all that expertise to put people out of business. and yet you would do something as stupid as take a customer that was paying $50 week and only charge $40 I guess that college and all those yrs as account manager did not teach you you could have had the job at $48 because of the great work you do. And as far as your math helping a friend that mows is not being in business because you could not run equipment at 15 it against the law so if your friend had a legitimate business all you could do is push a broom or pull a rake. No your right, you go kid I guess I'll put the for sale sign out in the Am.:dizzy:

8. chevyman1

the best part is, I earn more than you now at 100k from my sales job....Not only that, but I will make more on the side doing this that you would full time. People like you are a joke....I charge $40 so I can go up over a couple years moron....enjoy mowing your mom's place with your Craftsman....

9. olderthandirt

from here

Make 100k, and mow for $40, dam I bet your parents are real proud of you. The more you write the more I can see that I'm just wasting time with someone who has no idea of whats going on in this world. And by the way how would you know how much I make? And my mom been dead for yrs but thanks for thinking about her yd.

10. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

You both take things a little too personal, you both should just drop it and quit your nagging

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.