1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Going Dormant Early

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by quiet, Oct 27, 2005.

1. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

Long, hot, dry summer in here Central TX. Was still in the 90's up until 6 days ago. 1" of rain in the last 2-1/2 months.

All of a sudden, 3 nights in the 30's this week, with highs only in the
    low 70's . . . delightful!

But now, all of a sudden, some Tif 419 lawns are going dormant already. One month early!

Last round (5 of 5) of fertilizing was done last week of Sept.

Andersons 25-5-15

1.96% Amm N
    12.42% WSN (urea)
    4.37% WIN
    6.25% Other water soluble N (methylene ureas)

Ammonium Phosphate
    Potassium Sulfate
    5.1% Sulfur
    Good micro pkg: Cu, Fe, Mn, Zn

Thought I'd get another month.

The shorter cut lawns (1.75" to 2.00") - are still green, but the higher cut lawns (2.25" to 2.5") are starting to lose color. Many neighboring lawns have lost almost all their green during the last couple of days.
  2. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

We've had lows close to freezing here this week as well.

This seems to be right on schedule for us, if not a tad late. I'm glad to see the dormancy starting, because my last fertilization round was August-September. Laws that have no irrigation just look horrible now anyway. Dormancy couldn't happen soon enough for me this year.

Will be increasing the N supply in the last round for next year based on this.
  3. quiet

I should have added that the fert was applied at 1 lb./MSF

All lawns are irrigated, and a few are even irrigated properly! (retirement community!)

Like I said, thought I'd get another month of good looking lawns.
  4. quiet

I should have added that the rate was 1 lb of Nitrogen/MSF . . .
  5. Dallas Turf

Dallas Turf LawnSite Member

I put down 21-0-0 at 1 to 11/2 # on N on my bermuda lawns (common and 419) to try to keep things green back around the 15- 20 of September . All of my lawns are irrigated 2-3 times per week, but it has been so dry here that there has been little to no response and I noticed yesterday that several are totally dormant. This has been a really tough summer on these lawns.
  6. TforTexas

TforTexas LawnSite Senior Member

We are seeing the same thing in Austin. The turf was so stressed because of the dry conditions that with the first cool weather the started to go dormant.
    Alot of folks here began scalping and overseeding with rye in Sept. while the temps were still well in the 90's. And then when the started to water for the seed the brmuda came back out of dormancy and the rye germinated and faded back out because of the heat. Now things have cooled down things are looking better but we're still doing the rain dance....:cool2: