Going for my Class B CDL

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Vecchio Lawn Care, Jan 5, 2014.

1. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

I agree go with the Class A.

You are in Bel air. There is a guy somewhere in Baltimore County that teaches a CDL school for a reasonable cost. He will even work with your schedule. If you need his name and number I can't promise you, but I can *try* to get it for you. A buddy of mine got his class A through him a yr or two ago.

Presuming you have a biz to run like I did when I was 18 - working for a national carrier won't work for you. CDL school would be the better route for a business owner.

Also - The DOT inspectors in MD WILL write you a ticket if you pull a trailer over 10,000# gvw without a Class A.

2. LHS Lawns

LHS Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with the others that said get the Class A. I was going for a Class B and my wife suggested I get the Class A and be done with it.

Its been 20 yrs and I'm still so glad I took her advise.

Now I'm covered for any type lawn/landscape trailer I decide to pull should DOT laws turn uglier than they are.

3. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

Only if Youre over 26 combined. Thats a federal law
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. LHS Lawns

You might want to try your local community college. Our local one, Chesapeake College, offers CDL training.

We see their tractor/trailer on the road all the time.

5. LHS Lawns

You are correct. 26001 is the magic number.

6. DVS Hardscaper

LOL

Look at the wording in my post.

When I know people that have been written tickets for pulling an empty 14,000# gooseneck with a dually pick up on a class b, it is what it is. If you don't believe me - shoot me a e-mail and I'lll provde you with the drivers name and you can pull it up on MD Case Search and see for yourself :)

Also, in March, during a roadside inspection the DOT officer in Montgomery county told me they can enforce either MD DOT laws and or FED dot laws, or both. And on his own, he was telling me about the 14,000 pound thing.

So again - check out how I worded the original post :drinkup:

7. DVS Hardscaper

That is the magic number if you have a class b or class C truck with a trailer with a GVW under 10,000#.

But in MD it does not stop there - the police ARE in fact writing tickets if your trailer has a GVW of more than 10,000 pounds.

If you go to MD's Assembly General website and read the annoted code - such a law does exist. HOWEVER - last I checked - it's written with a TYPO!!! LOL

How many people actually research the laws before going to court to get out of a ticket??? Unless you're a law student - the answer is "almost never"!

But for this law - presuming they haven't corrected the typo - you go to court and you point out the mis-worded annoted code to the judge. And the judge will think you're the smartestest landscaper on earth :)

We have a 14,000 pound trailer. LOL - But I called the manufacturer and asked them to send me a new spec sticker showing 10,000# gvw! Thank god because one of my guys was stopped this summer and he said the officer actually got out of his car and checked the gvw listed on the spec sticker.

This is how MD makes their money. And they're making hundreds of thousands of dollars off of this law.

8. DVS Hardscaper

actually wiffyspark - my buddy that was ticketed, went to court in MOCO. This was in 2010 if memory serves me right. they did whatever they do in court, and now that traffic ticket no longer appears on MD Case Search. I do know that his boss had to come get the truck and trailer!

9. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

GVWR plus the trailer is over 26k on DRW trucks 99% of the time. I think a f350 is 12400 in the lowest GVWR DRW setup.

10. norsky

norsky LawnSite Member
    from MN

this is the way to go. get your class A. find a school and they will help you get the license with easy. just remember to go over the material alot. good luck. you will be glad you got it.