Going for my Class B CDL

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Vecchio Lawn Care, Jan 5, 2014.

1. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

If you have a 25999 truck and a 9999 trailer you're in the clear

if you have a 12450 dually and a 14k trailer, you're over

There is NO law that says a trailer over 10 has to have a cdl. It's for if you have a a truck that is 26001 and a trailer is 10001, THAN you need a cdl.

You do not need a cdl for a 12k trailer and 12k truck.

Personally I'll just stay the hell out of Montgomery county. I hear nothing but dumb sh t up there. Anne Arundel Is just as bad :laugh:

2. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

I've spent hours upon hours researching. I'm sorry my friend, but you are wrong, there most certainly is such a law :)

If you'd like, I can possibly e-mail you a link to the annoted code.

My father is retired from PA MVA, and that's how this whole thing was brought to my attention. I said "we're getting a 14k trailer", he said "in PA you'll need a Class A". Which that then prompted me to look at MD's laws. I even called the I-270 scale house and asked.

But the final word on all laws is in Maryland General Assembly's annoted codes. That is what a judge will reference.

But you know what, Wiffy? Law or not , whether I like it or not, whether you like it or not - the DOT police in all of MD are in fact writing tickets for this and they're not allowing drivers to drive the trailer, they're having the drivers call someone properly licensed to come get the trailer.

Bottom line (for the topic creator) - just get the Class A and call it a day :)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  3. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

This is correct, any trailer over 10K used for commercial transport is subject to a Class A endorsement. I think the rules are different for recreational and farm use as most of the 5th wheel travel trailers are over 10K. Now your state may not enforce these rules but they are there federally and if you get in a wreck you're screwed.

4. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

Truck and trailer combination over 26k if the trailer exceeds 10k. Federal law not state to state........
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

Duffster needs to chime in
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Duffster

Duffster LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

Arguing with idiots from county jail is pointless.

Sheep will fall for anything.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  7. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

You also need a non commercial B cdl to drive a motorhome over 26001 , or if it has air brakes , And a non commercial A if your truck and travel trailer exceed 26001 combined . I had to drive to western Md from annapolis to drive a neighbors motorhome back after he was pulled over and given a ticket . The cop even checked my license , and I made sure I did the pre trip before I left . The cop even said , I am glad you did that , or I would be doing more writing .

Get a class A and be done with it .

8. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

You can also gets a class a with a class 9 restriction. If for guys pulling trailers with little trucks instead of road tractors.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Duffster

Duffster LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

Type of brakes doesn't dictate the class of license needed.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

Well I would say it does , there is an air brake endorsement , you need it to drive a truck with air brakes . You cant get an endorsement unless you get a CDL or a Non Commercial CDL . So the type of brakes will dictate the class of license . Based on Marylands rules .