Going for the gusto

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Big C, Jul 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big C

Big C LawnSite Bronze Member

I know i have only been in business a few monthes....I know I probibly don't have enough accts to justify it....but it seems that I am attracting customers with large properties that I cannot service because I only have 36in WB. When the large property owners call me I end up (A) turn them down or (B) refering them to another LCO who has a mower big enough. I am tired of being a referral service....so today I am on my way to buy an Exmark Laser hp 46/19 kaw to go with my quick 36...gotta spend $$$ to make $$$$$.
    guys I talked to my business partner (wife) about and prayed on it......and I am going for the gusto!!!!:weightlifter::weightlifter:

2. AJ Lawnscapes

AJ Lawnscapes LawnSite Senior Member

Can't make the money without spending it.

Good for you. No sense in giving away money to others if they don't reciprocate.

Abe

3. JimQ

JimQ LawnSite Bronze Member

What is limiting you to a 46" deck? You've got the 36" for smaller gated properties. A 46" doesn't seem like much of productivity booster.

Q

4. CutApproved

CutApproved LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I agree! If you gonna finance a machine then its only gonna cost you a little more per month. How big are the propterties? I would have thought you going to get at least a 48" or 52"

JMO but 46" isn't gonna do it.

5. ponyboy

ponyboy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ny

46' is a waste go for a 52 you can still use it on all places you did with the 36 except fot the gates, soon you will just turn down people with gates or learn to install bigger gates and make more money

6. freshprince94

freshprince94 LawnSite Bronze Member

Congrats and good luck. IMO the eXmarks are the best out there, and that particular model seems to be popular in Louisana.

7. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

you best look at something bigger. You'll waste your time on a 46...... get a 52....

8. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

What's stopping you from taking on these larger properties with your Quick 36? You will spend more time mowing it but at least you will have that property in the cue and be ready to go with your larger deck mower when it arrives.

I currently give quotes for larger properties as if I had a 50"+ deck but as of yet I haven't landed any bigger properties.

9. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

Though the HP is a "compact" Z, it's still substantial; apart from the pertinent issue of obtaining a larger deck offering (50" or 56"), why hamstring yourself with the 19HP Kaw, when other engine options with more oomph! are available?

Excellent question. And one might ask exactly what constitutes a "large property"? (Note, that 'Big C' has the Step-Saver)

But, now that 'Big C' has purchased the machine - in contemplation of work, here's hoping more of those "large properties" come his way, and in quick succession.

:confused:

10. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

I would do the same thing, I think youo could cut 1 acre with a 36" in a little over 1 hour or less if you run

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.