Lawn Care Forum banner

Going from 60" to 52" decks?

4K views 30 replies 18 participants last post by  MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE 
#1 ·
I have been running primarily 60" Exmarks for a couple years now cutting almost every property from 5,000 sq. ft. up to 3 acres, but I am giving a little thought to going to 52" decks. It seems that the smaller and/or more broken up properties would be easier to service with a 52" over a 60"

My thinking is this, sure the 60" will save time and cut more grass per hour but I am more concerned with quality than speed. I do not think on most properties unless they are larger, say over 1/2 acre, and more open that I really will be giving up that much with a 52".

The 52" is slightly more manuverable, has a better quality of cut on smaller properties, it will not scap as easy, and gets into some spots better than the 60".

What size decks do most guys on here run on their main cutting rigs? Has anybody dowsized to smaller decks? Did it work out well?

I should add that I do not like to cut the same property with different sized mower decks (if at all possible). I would prefer consistent sized stripes.

Your thoughts and comments are much appreciated.

See less See more
#29 ·
i hear alot about scalping. and now that i consider myself a pro mower, last year i started running a new 56" exmark. from 36&48"exmark wb's to 56"z, i thought was to big. i dont have any experiance on any other brand of mower, but i know i will not allow my mower to scalp! it has the deck lever that raises it. my leg at times may get fatigued from pumping the heavy lever, but when i drive away its worth not seeing a scalped spot that us mowers can spy from a mile away....thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.