1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Going from 60" to 52" decks?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Eclipse, Oct 13, 2006.

1. dave k

dave k LawnSite Bronze Member

Envy, what is a ZTwo? Did you get the DVD on the TANK with the Gunny? Need to watch it again.
    Thanks for all the help and advice.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

A ztwo, been ask before.
  3. dave k

dave k LawnSite Bronze Member

well I'm asking again
  4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Same thing as a TANK.

Just available at Lesco in their colors.
    That's one in my avatar.
  5. nfarr

nfarr LawnSite Member

My main mower is a 52" ztr. I also use a 36WB belt drive for gated yards. The majority of my yards average around 12K with the smallest being around 5k and the largest 3 acres. ( mowed 75 weeklys this season)

I have demo'd several mowers this year to determine what to buy next season. I am going to need some more mowers. I used a 60" Z with good results, however, the 66" was too large and scapled quite a bit in areas I have never had problems with.

The 36" is too small for the open spaces. I have decided that for my crews a 48" WB hydro is the way to go. It is virtually as fast as the 52ZTR and takes up less space and weighs less.
  6. gqnine44

gqnine44 LawnSite Senior Member

Simply not true. I prefer 52" decks and have and will continue to take jobs from 60" LCOs who scalp the hills of this area leaving unhappy premium customers. You couldnt be more wrong in this case.
  7. Eclipse

Eclipse LawnSite Bronze Member

Just and update, I no longer own a 60" deck and I have not missed them yet.

For all purpose mowing the 52" is a much better choice in my opinion.

pills11.com ;))
  8. kjslawn

kjslawn LawnSite Senior Member

I went 61 inch to a 54 inch and love it we very rarely have to push mow the ditchlines Everride 54" kaw articulating front deck is awsome
  9. RutledgeLawnCare NC

RutledgeLawnCare NC LawnSite Member

i hear alot about scalping. and now that i consider myself a pro mower, last year i started running a new 56" exmark. from 36&48"exmark wb's to 56"z, i thought was to big. i dont have any experiance on any other brand of mower, but i know i will not allow my mower to scalp! it has the deck lever that raises it. my leg at times may get fatigued from pumping the heavy lever, but when i drive away its worth not seeing a scalped spot that us mowers can spy from a mile away....thanks
  10. jsaunders

jsaunders LawnSite Bronze Member

don't forget the 54" decks- I like my hustlers yet I still want to get a flex -deck so I can get wide when needed.