Going From a Lawn Tractor To a ZTR - Envy Lawn and Anyone Else Who Recently Switched!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Katie_A_C, Dec 21, 2006.

1. Katie_A_C

Katie_A_C LawnSite Member

I find myself in much the same position as Envy Lawn Service was in a couple years ago. I think that I have enough accounts to buy my first ZTR and commercial trimmer but it is a BIG investment and I am more than a little scared.

I think that I can count on 30 lawns for sure next year and prolly more because I started the season w/just my parents lawn and ended up with 30! The ZTR and trimmer will take like the whole season of cutting profits just to pay for.

I'm nervous!:eek:

Envy Lawn Service or anyone else that recently made the jump to a ZTR.....Is it Really Reallly Really worth it?????????
  2. Duramax8832

Duramax8832 LawnSite Member

Well..I picked up a Lazer Z 60in a little while ago..I only mowed with it a few days, it's been in the shed since...But first off, you can mow alot faster. Going to the Z has more than doubled my bagger capacity. Turning around for another pass is sooo much faster than my old tractor.. It is a big chunk of change though. I think we are getting close to the point where everyone is gonna need atleast one just to be competative...Around here it is getting crazy, guys are running ZTR's on postage stamp lots...

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Hell buy it we but one every season don't sweat it.
  4. green acres lawns

green acres lawns LawnSite Senior Member

I used a lawn tractor back in '97. I bought a used Walker in '98 and cut my time in half. In 2000 I bought a new 60" lazer and cut my time in half again. I have some retired gentleman that still use lawn tractors. We all charge about the same price per 1/4 acre yard, but I do 3 yards to their one. Mine are nicely striped while theirs are cut in random patterns. But, I have 100k invested in trucks,trailers,mowers, etc. They have a cub cadet on a home made trailer pulled by a 4 cyl ford ranger and don't report their income. So who's making the most profit??

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

The way we make money is buying the equipment to get he work done fast with no break downs buy the z.
  6. JDWalkbehind

JDWalkbehind LawnSite Member

Hands down get the Z. I switched at the very end of the season i had a home owners estate i was doin the ditch an back lots took 3 hours. Now with the Z 1 hour an that includes trimming
  7. Katie_A_C

Katie_A_C LawnSite Member

Thanks for the encouragement!!!:clapping:

Everything I have read here seems to favor a ZTR over a Lawn Tractor but it's still kinda scary to plunk down that much money, especially after only 1 year in business!

I would love for Envy Lawn to chime in because he was going through the same thing that I am a couple years ago and prolly has a good perspective.

I also notice that at Home Depot I can get a Toro Timecutter ZTR for quite a bit less than the Exmark and Gravely I was looking at.:confused:
  8. JDWalkbehind

JDWalkbehind LawnSite Member

Well if you don't have a lot of yards i would do that but those one's are residental (think i spelled that right) and after a little bit of hard days and long hours they kinda fall apart.
  9. robbo521

robbo521 LawnSite Senior Member

well i did this year.been cutting 5 big yards for 5 yrs with a scotts 42''.i went ahead and got one last month when they cut the price some.these 5 took me 6 days to cut most of the time but now it only takes me a day and half.i have a JD 48'' now and that thing cuts the time like you never thought.wish i hadit years ago.
  10. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

you can get a used 60" lazer under 1000hours and under 3 years old with a bagger for under 4grand. Just look around. I wouldnt buy new unless until you get 100+ accounts.