1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

going from bagging to multching

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AK Lawn, Apr 9, 2002.

1. AK Lawn

AK Lawn LawnSite Member

so what is need to make this transfer, i want to switch from bagging to mulching, so what do i have to do, is there much involved, i have 5 21" commercial hondas, 2 WB's 36" and a 48", all coverted for bagging, i have never mulched before so anything will help, i am just full of stupid questions, hey i look at it this way, i just want to cut costs and this is just another way to do so.
    AK Lawn
  2. MuskTurfKing

MuskTurfKing LawnSite Senior Member

Go talk to your dealer and he can find you some better blades, I'm sure that that would do the trick, are you bagging with the bigger w/b's? If I were you during mowing season I'd just side discharge and run doubles. I think that that's all you'd need.

3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Considering you don't mention the type of 36" and 48" mowers its hard to say about these. The Hondas have a mulching kit you can buy for them. It consist of a plug and mulching blade to correct the airflow for mulching. Depending on the brand of the others, the manufacturer may make a mulch kit for them.
  4. AK Lawn

AK Lawn LawnSite Member

Sorry i should have posted what they were, the WB's are a honda 48" and a 36" deere, thanks
    AK Lawn
  5. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

I have run the honda 21's for at least 10 years...the d--- mower height adjustmens don't go high enough and when you put the mulching blade on and the plug in the chute, it cuts a bit lower....and if there is any amount of moisture, it bogs down about every time....I love their engines, but they really need to change their height adjustments...by the way the chute plug and mulch blades are not expensive...I forget exactly how much...I have found that using normal blades with the discharge chute closed works best...doesn't leave noticeable clippings...good luck...my next 21 will be a commercial Toro 2 cycle
  6. TGCummings

TGCummings LawnSite Senior Member

Don't know how much you use a 21", but out here it's just about all I use and I swear by the Toro Proline w/ mulch kit. If my 36" Exmark w/ Micro-Mulch could break grass down half as well as my Toro 21" I'd use it a lot more...

Also, I don't know what type of blades they make for your bigger machines, but I can tell you that the standard mulching blades for my Exmark (wavy blades) work a lot better than the gators. The gators are designed for something, but in my experience it ain't mulching... :)
  7. Heavy

Heavy LawnSite Member

I'd have to say that bagging a lawn makes it look ten times better than anything else. I tend to start mulching around the end of June. I feel that it makes the lawn healthier. Have you ever thought of charging the customers to bag.