Going from neighborhood mowing to a true LCO

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by stephenslawncare, Jan 18, 2008.

1. stephenslawncare

stephenslawncare LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

Okay, right now, I am mowing around 20 lawns, all in my neighborhood, but I will be turning 16 this summer and want to get a truck and trailer. My question is, is there anything I can do now to make it a little easier on myself when I finally turn 16. I am mostly concearned in the areas of pricing. Right now, my prices are low, compared to most true LCO's and when i get a truck and trailer, I dont want to shock them with my new "professional" prices. Have any of you gone through this and what were your experiences? Thanks

2. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

You won't be a professional until you are licensed and insured, for starters. You are now the illegal low baller that hurts the industry. You pay no taxes.

I have no problem with a 15 year old doing a couple of properties for spending money, but 20? Consider yourself lucky no one has reported you. Yeah, you are worried about pricing? LOL.... that's what all low ballers worry about. Now you might have to compete on even ground with legitimate LCO's. You call them "true" LCO's! LMAO! At the age of 15, had you gotten caught you would have gotten your wrist slapped. At 16, the stakes go up. If you were in NY, they would sieze your equipment... all of it, and a truck and trailer. They might even hold your parents liable.

Am I being too tough on you? Some will think so, but reality is a cold splash of water on the face. Operations like yours make the whole indusrty less profitable for people that have to pay their mortage and feed a family while competing with illegal low ball lawn cutters. Think about it.

3. stephenslawncare

stephenslawncare LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

I already have a liscense and pay taxes and insurance is the first thing i am going to get @ 16

4. Whitey4

In NY, you couldn't get a license until you were 18, and even that would be hard to get. How can you get a license without insurance anyway? Do you mean a registered business name? That is something entirely different. Again, in NY, you could not get a certificate of authority to collect sales tax unless you were at least 18. I pay $450 for two years to be licensed. Just what state are you in? Havin some trouble here with your story. Doesn't add up. A business license without insurance? I'll eat my hat if that's true.

5. jdmcat

jdmcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

well get your fork, at least in my town, you don't have to have any insurance to get a license to mow, and that came straight from the mouths of the people at city hall. now get into anything that requires digging a hole and that's a different story.

6. Whitey4

Problem is the good folks at city hall often have no clue what the state or county requirements are. In NY we have this thing called the "Consumer Affairs Office".... and even THEY didn't know what their OWN requirements were! No lie, true story!

7. jdmcat

jdmcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

well, it's been my experience that no government agency knows what they're talking about. however there are guys mowing here that ARE legal and DON'T have insurance. i WILL have insurance before i do my first lawn, however. I'd rather pay the $300/year than have to pay that much or more to replace a window or sprinkler head.

8. Whitey4

No chit!? Legal without insurance? well call me corrected and surprised, with all due apologies! How bizzarre.

9. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

I just incorporated and got my home inprovement licence for my town here in the great state of NY and I didnt need insurance to do it.

10. born2farm

born2farm LawnSite Bronze Member

so what exactly you saying us young guys need.

im 15 right now and mowwed around 10 yards last year. im looking at expanding in the spring of 09 cuz il hopefully have a truck and a trailer. if we cant get all these specials licenses then how did all you big guys start out.

thanks