going from pistol grip to ecs type grip

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by robby, Aug 21, 2005.

1. robby

robby LawnSite Member

I'm thinking about getting rid of the pistol grip on my next mower purchase but wondering what adjustments i may be in for. What i like about the pistol grips is that i can always lean back on them when needed to lift the front deck to jump over obstacles in the yards or to jump curbs to enter yards. When using the exmark type grip or new Lesco grip i can see how it will be impossible to lift the front deck same as with the pistols. So is it hard to crawl over curbs with the ecs, or do you just need to go real slow when jumping them? The lesco dealer told me that he knew one company that made these little "ramps" that they ran the mowers over to go from the road level into the yards. But i really dont want to have to take the time to use such a thing. I want to be able to crank the mower and get mowing asap. I want an easier grip for my wrists, but I dont want to run into a whole new set of problems.

2. Scottish LScape

Scottish LScape LawnSite Member

The ecs grips are 100X's better. My 2 cents. I run 2 exmarks with them. A little more effort to lift your mower over things (curbs, belgium blocks, etc.) but not that much of a difference. I haven't tried the Lesco grips, but it looks alot like the same setup. Get a demo model with the ecs handles from your dealer, and try it 1st hand, I think you'll be happy.
    Good luck

3. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

I have an ecs hydro. Yesterday I was helping the lawngodfather with some lawns and had to use a pistol grip. It felt to akward and uncomfortable. ECs much easier on the hands. I also have an older exmark with the pistol grips and I'm selling the thing cause it never gets used. Peace

4. robby

robby LawnSite Member

I have no doubt that the new grip will be much easier on my wrists, but i'm still wondering how I adjust to not being able to hop over tree roots or stepping stones or the other things that always seem to be in the way but can be handled by just lifting up the front deck a lil as to not destroy your blades. Going around them totally seems to be the other option, but that leads to additional trimming which = additional time spent on the yard.

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

What's the big deal with pistol grips? I have personally been using them full time now for 11 years and have no problems with them on our Ferris machines, nor by my employees for that matter. Hell, and I'm 50!!!

Don't tell me LS is filling up with a bunch of pansies and wussies!?!?!? :rolleyes:

6. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Go and demo one, thats the only way that you will know for sure if it will work for you. Good Luck

7. bam

bam LawnSite Senior Member
    from .

it is no more difficult to lift the ecs versus the pistol grip we have 20 machines with the ecs, and i have yet to hear a complaint.

or cut down 2 pieces of a 4x4 and place it next to the curb and throw it on the top of the deck when you dont need them.

8. Mower For Less

Mower For Less LawnSite Senior Member

I can wheelie my 36" TTHP and Metro HP both with ECS anywhere on command. Its not that hard at all.

Kevin

9. i_plant_art

i_plant_art LawnSite Senior Member

do u currently have an exmark machine? if its in good shape then why get a new one for the ECS just buy the conversion kit from exmark...... i love the ECS as soon as i bought my fisrt ECS everything got traded in for new mowers just b/c of the ECS no more complaints about hands/wrists hurting no more "grabbing /naggin things with the handles. they are just awsome..... getting over curbs is just as easy as welll.

10. lawnworker

lawnworker LawnSite Senior Member

Going up hill or on flat ground, lifting will not be a problem. Pointed down a hill, the ecs becomes harder to lift. Over all the ecs is easier then pistil grip on arm fatigue.