1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

going green on fertilizer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by packey, Oct 9, 2007.

1. packey

packey LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone here specialize in turf management instead of just simply mowing and blowing. I am looking for someone with more experience than I have in this area. I have a new contract for next season that border a river and has three fishing ponds. This is an upscale condo/apartment complex. I am looking at renovating areas of the Kentucky blue grass but what i am trying to find is a good bio fertilizer that will be safe around the water sources.
  2. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

I am a chemical applicator. Fertilizer isn't toxic in a water supply. It's just Nitrogen, Phosphorous, Potassium, etc. Just minerals. The problem really lies in the fact that if you put water soluble Nitrogen into water you'll get crazy algae blooms - just enormous growth that can totally take over a small body of water...

Careful application can all but totally eliminate this hazard.

If the property isn't too large, a Spyker chest spreader is very controllable.