Going insane with no rain!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KV, Jul 20, 2001.

1. KV

KV LawnSite Member

Well since mother nature is quenn of our tempo for the most part I have found a new found bordem with not being able to mow the normal amounts due to no percipitation, This is my first full summer doing this full balls. Any suggestions on how to survive or tips or secrets to keep going strong??

2. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

My income is unchanged by the weather, if they choose not to water so be it, pull up and check the lawn, spot spray any weeds and hit the road.
  3. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

Check out your client's yards for other stuff you could do.

No rain here too for over a week and a half so I can relate.

I saw several of my clients needed bush/hedge work done and I needed to buy a gas hedge trimmer anyway...so.......I bought a RedMax CHT2200 (on sale! :)) and called those clients.

This week I paid for those trimmers AND made a little extra to boot by doing bushes and hedges. Even talked one of those clients into an aereating/seeding later this fall...yeah. (it sometimes pays to talk to your clients)

Gonna ask them about mulch beds if it don't rain soon! :D

You have to tell your clients about the other things that you can do for them or plant 'ideas' in their head...."You know, Mrs. Jones, don't you think a nice mulch bed with some pretty whatevers would look GREAT over in that spot?.....and a beautiful Dogwood would be awesome over there?..."

It is surprising how many people want this kind of stuff but don't think that you will do this kind of thing because your busy mowing and haven't mentioned it either. A lot of my customers could not get their previous lawn guys to do anything but mow so now they don't bother asking me either. :rolleyes:

Hang in there, KV.....this 'dry spell' thing happens every year in most places...it will pass.

In the meantime....Diversify! :D

4. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

As long as bahai grows we got work, rain or shine.
  5. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

We hadnt had rain for a couple of weeks until today. The 95 degree temps and low humidity have really dried things out. Lite rain is all we got sofar but I think it may increase in intensity. Weather plays such a big factor in the income of non contract work. I cant get these poor people around here to sign contracts because they know the next drought is around the corner. Weather hasnt been a factor so far this year.
    I agree with the above on trying to get contracts and talking to custumers about extra stuff they need done. But I also know the stress of no rain can cause you feel like you are losing so much money that you dont feel like doing anything.
    Commercial contracts is the way to go if you can win the bids.
  6. cp

cp LawnSite Senior Member

Today is the first day that I have skipped a customer because it didn't need it.:(

Bad feeling.:mad:
  7. racerdave

racerdave LawnSite Senior Member

Nice posts
  8. Jay ALC

Jay ALC LawnSite Member

You guys can move here, we have had the hottest temps in the country in the daytime and have been getting drenched at night. Just the night before last we had three inches in less than 24hrs.
    Its not skipping lawns due to dryness here but due to wetness.
  9. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

Excellent post !! I work solo and have about 30 accounts. I had to skip all but 5 of them this week. I have run into the same thing as you have, customers don't think I do anything but cut, because
    that all the last guy did. I have been telling customers all services I offer besides mowing and it's helped me keep working through this dry spell. I'm going to get a flyer printed up w/ all services I offer to give to all my customers. :) ED
  10. Holloway Lawns

Holloway Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

No rain here in going on 2 months but we are doing better than last summer because we got rain lots of it in April so our lakes are at 77% copaired to the 40% last year. Please let it rain here we still need it.:angel: