Going legal this year...need help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jeffh1988, Jan 21, 2008.

1. jeffh1988

jeffh1988 LawnSite Member
    from MS

I have decided to get everything 100% legit this year after doubling business last year and everything is looking good again for this year. My one road block is I have been doing business under my personal name and I think i could gain alot more name recognition by changing over to a company name. I have a lawyer waiting to write up my LLC papers he's just waiting on me to decide on a name. I lack in the creativity field and i can't come up with something i like. I would like some suggestions. I also have a question reguarding names in general...I keep thinking of names but my problem is I want them to appeal to an upper class and be classy name. For example if a heart surgeon opens the yellow pages and goes to pick a lawn and landscape service would he pick joe bob's lawn service or Four Seasons Lawn and Landscape. The two companies are both completely legit and joe bob may even do a little better work than four seasons but which will the doctor pick just based on name with no outside influence. Maybe I'm over analyzing this but to me this is a crucial business decision, your insight is much appreciated.

-Jeff

2. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

where do you live, what town? (TOWN) Lawn & Landscape. " " Property Maintenance.. Just make sure you check to see if anyone is doing business with the name you'd like.

3. Raven386

from CT

Maybe your initials? JH Lawn & Landscape, JH Landscapes,JH Property Maintenance...

4. jeffh1988

jeffh1988 LawnSite Member
    from MS

I live in West Point, but i live close to two other towns one being a college town and another that is booming with incoming industry. I don't want my name to limit my business to an area, If someone thinks of West Point Lawn and Landscape they may think i only work in West Point. The only problem with the intials is alot of people around here use things like that and I am trying to think of something catchy or unique to distinguish myself from the rest. I'm not knocking your suggestions, thanks for the input raven.

-Jeff

5. Raven386

from CT

im not the creative type so... i tried. Four Seasons Lawn & Landscape sounds good. is there anyone in your area who is using that name?

6. Big C

Big C LawnSite Bronze Member

You said that you were using just your name for the past few seasons...I would incorprate your name so that people still recognize who you are as well as providing a professional image to new customers. Some of my ideas: "JEFF'S ON THE SPOT LAWNCARE", "JEFF'S PERSONAL TOUCH LAWNCARE" or "LAWN CREATIONS BY JEFF"..........just my opinion.....good luck!!!:drinkup:

7. dhardin53

dhardin53 LawnSite Senior Member

A cute name is nice but if you in a larger market some day some one will come along and challenge your name, even if your think you listed it first. Save the hassle use your name (Jeff's Lawn Services) in the business and or service listing. No one can challenge your name you have a birth certificate to protect you name.

Over my years in the printing an promotion business I have seen may business have to nearly start over because someone contested their name. Attorneys, printing and informing your clients base of a change is like starting over.

This is a people business and a name like "Perfect Lawn Care" is great sounding but you have to remind everyone that your Jeff with "Perfect Lawn Care" just not as personal. remember people relate to other people.

Just my opinion.....

8. TomberLawn

TomberLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I read an article about this type thing in Turf a few months back. There was a guy in there who named his bsuiness Southern Exposure Landscape Management or something similar. That sounds big time. I think that high-end clients like you are looking for will gravitate towards a "franchise" sounding name, for instance U.S. Lawns. Even if U.S. Lawns was just a one crew outfit, it sounds big and gives the impression of having several trained professionals and a reputation. I used a hybrid. My last name is Tomberlin, so I dropped the -lin and added Lawn. I didn't think about it until after choosing this name, but it looks kind of like ChemLawn. People who know me recognize my truck with part of my last name on it. People who don't know me see the Lawn part and figure Tomber must represent the owner, which is true. I had no trouble filing a DBA for this name since it is unique, using my last name and Lawn instead of a generic lawn care name or just my name.

9. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

I went with my last name, followed by "Lawn and Gardens". I'm not a hardscaper, outside of garden borders and the like. I think I like this because... don't laugh... Marvin Gardens is an expensive property in Mononpoly! Has a subtle upper crust appeal to me. Gardens is a word that smacks of estate properties, but doesn't sound too expensive for the average customer either.

I always felt a company name should carry the most important message vs. being catchy or something else... WHAT does the company DO? ING or Prudential might be a fine name for a huge insurance company, but not for an LCO, no matter how upscale it is IMO.

10. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

around here southern exposure is a strip club.:laugh:
    how about Summers lawn care? gets the person thinking about how hot it is in the summer and how nice it would be to have someone doing it for you. just a thought. goodluck.