Going legit need help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jeffh1988, Jan 19, 2005.

1. jeffh1988

jeffh1988 LawnSite Member
    from MS

I am 16 and in school but have been asked by the local school district and a couple other commercial type people for bids on mulch weekly mows etc. but then they find out i am not yet legit. They want me to do the work but are afraid of me not being insured and having a liscense. They have told me that if i get insurance liscense, etc. to contact them....so I want to ask what do i need to do? What all do i need, who do i need to contact for it, how much insurance do i need, how much does all of this cost, etc.

Thanks in advance
    Jeff

2. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

The honey is here. Use the search button to find this out instead of broadcasting it.

3. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

At 16 Jeff, it may be difficult for you to obtain a business licence or insurance. Check with your local government for the details. Maybe clerk of courts can face you in the right direction.

4. jeffh1988

jeffh1988 LawnSite Member
    from MS

I understand that only being 16 is a drawback but i will be doing everything through my dads name. And i have searched but i haven't found all the info i am looking for...and isn't this what this site is for?

Thanks
    Jeff

5. ProLawns

ProLawns LawnSite Senior Member

Obtain a business liscense at your city or county government headquarters. Obtain at least $1,000,000 liability insurance. National Grange Mutual insurance company has reasonable rates. If you are spraying pesticides you will need to be certified and liscensed. Check with your state dept. of agriculture for this information. You might have to be eighteen for all of this.

6. Mo Green

Doing things through your dads name should make things easier. Go to your local court system and register your biz name within your county or city of residence. You should also be able to obtain your business license there, too.
    Have your dad ask his auto insurance agent if they offer commercial business insurance. If they do, it may be abit cheaper to obtain since his auto policy is with them already. The amount of the coverage you need will depend on the type of equipment that you have, and the type of work that you are doing.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

7. K.Carothers

Telling someone to be illegal is not being above and beyond. Is that how you run your business?

8. Mo Green

Please explain how his father obtaining the proper permits for his son is illegal. If the business and insurance are in dads name and the son runs the business, how is that illegal?

9. scaglawnsnj

scaglawnsnj LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

humm getting legit is the easy part,,,have fun paying all those bills for a couple contracts...

10. K.Carothers

being above and beyond is more important than telling someone how to circumvent the system..