Going nuts!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mslawn, Jun 6, 2006.

1. mslawn

mslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from LA

I have a 05' lazer xs 72" and the wheel motor bolts broke a couple of months ago and no big deal. I also have a 06' lazer xs 66" and the wheel motor bolts broke a couple of weeks ago. Well today on the 66" the wheel motor bolts broke AGAIN!!! When my guy called and told me it broke again I wanted to just scream right there in the customers yard. This along with the belt jumping off the Phazer all the time is driving me crazy!

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I would say the belt issue is due to some worn bearings or sleeves or bushings or a shaft, something is worn and causing a wobble.
    That, or the belt is worn out... But on that note, I let mine ride until they break thou the coming off the pulleys when disengaging is annoying. What I find works (but only with manual disengage) is to let go of the handle slowly, allowing the belt to stop completely before disengaging the handle fully. On other machines, turn the motor off with the belt engaged, thou I don't like to do it but somedays...

With the wheel bolts, I dunno...
    Have you checked to see if some hardware manufacturer makes extra heavy duty bolts you might can cross-reference and use?
    Like, NAPA? Cylinder head bolt material, something along those lines, really tough stuff, titanium crap.
    Worth a shot, likely a waste of time but...

3. mslawn

from LA

Topsites,
    I hope nothings worn, it is brand new!!

4. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

MUAHAHAHA

I feel your pain.

5. kc2006

btw, what are these wheel motor bolts? I think I read an old post of yours the first time they broke, not sure.

Go look at ARP fastners, they sell all different sizes in anything from hardend bolts that are beyond grade 8 bolts to titanium, anything you could dream of. You shouldn't have to be doing this, especially with a newer mower but in the long run, keep breaking stock ones and dealing with all the BS or spend 20-40 bucks and be done...

6. mslawn

from LA

kc,
    It is the 4 bolts that hold the wheel motor on - the wheel is attached to.

7. kc2006

so basicly the wheel studs (lugnuts attach to?)?

If so, ARP would fix that. They have all different size wheel studs. If you want I have their catalog I can check if you have the size needed.

8. mslawn

from LA

No not the studs. The 4 bolts that hold the wheel motor to the frame of the mower.

9. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Sounds like they are backing out and the added pressure causes them to snap. Install new bolts and use red locktite on them. I am willing to bet that solves your problem. As far as the phazer goes that is pretty much just a teething issue that exmark needs to get worked out.

10. kc2006

What he said.

If it's not that, the bolts just aren't strong enough. They should be grade 8 though and that should be plenty strong. So I'd have to think its what prostreet said.