1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Going on from the handshake...

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by MJStrain, Aug 16, 2002.

?

How many seasons should a contract run for?

1. One season

20 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. Two seasons

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. Three seasons

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  4. Four seasons

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  1. MJStrain

MJStrain LawnSite Member

So far we've always done business with a handshake but with all the competition in town, I'm thinking of moving up to signed contracts. Anyone got a copy I could take a gander at, to get an idea of what these new contracts would need to include? I'd a appreciate the help. If you have the time how about voting on how long a contract should run for...

Once again...Thanks!:)

2. m&m

m&m LawnSite Member

i think i voted wrong way........do you mean seasons as in fall, winter, spring, summer or as in one season (year round)......

also, about the contract, look for sean adams on here......i talked with him not long ago about a contract and am considering it myself........he seems to have it all set up however, you may need to adjust for yourself.......it would be worth talking to him about ...

seems reaonable

3. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I would not want to limit my business to those that sign a contract. I think you would miss out on a lot of business. I would consider giving those who sign a contract a free winterization at the end of the season. Fertilizer does not cost a lot and you could spread it at the time of the last mowing, so it would not take much of your time. Just my thought.

MATT

4. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I personally will never again do anything without a signed contract. I don't care if it's a $30 job. No contract.....no work.

Scott

5. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

I have heard some people say - "My customers would never sign a contract" OR "People don't sign contracts around these parts"... and so on.

I think that the most important part of a contract is the overall "fair and reasonable for all involved" feeling.

Contractors everywhere in every industry have these lopsided, unfair agreements drawn up, and then expect a client or prospect to sign their life away. NO way!

If the contract is written in a way that even someone without a law degree can understand it, and it protects both parties involved, there should not be an issue.

Of course, presentation is important too. Discuss it with your clients and prospects. Explain the benefit of a contract for them as well as you.

6. MJStrain

MJStrain LawnSite Member

Sean, any chance of getting a look at your contract?

m&m, I meant one season to mean a full twelve months...

Michael;)