Going on Vacation?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mkwl, Jul 31, 2006.

1. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey guys, here's a question for you. When you're going on vacation for more than a few days, what do you do about your lawns? I'll be going on a cruise for a week, and am a little concerned about how long my lawns will get, since some of them will be growing for 10 days or so (I have to cut some a few days before I leave, that's the way my schedule works out). I'm moving all my lawns back a day (growing for 7 days instead of 6), so they can be cut right before I leave (within 2 days of leaving). Anyhow, I figured I'll cut them a little lower next cut, so they won't be quite as long when I finally get to them after the cruise. I'll let all my lawn clients know that I'll be away for a week, so they won't have to worry about why I'm not showing up on their regular day. What do you do in this instance?

2. mkwl

Bump, Anyone?

3. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

You don't go on vacation... Your customers pay you to be there every week, once a week. If you feel you need a vacation that badly, then you hire and pay someone to cover for you. If its a family emergency or something then you can do it, but not for a cruise. :rolleyes:

4. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

whats a vacation. thats what winters are for, lol...

5. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

can you do some in advance and push others back? i haven't taken a vacation in summer for at least 7-8 years, none at all for last five, so i'm afraid i'm not much help. maybe see if another lco whom you trust will cover them for you?

6. mkwl

Well, of my 15 clients, I can cut them all on the 2 days before I leave. My lawns will be growing for 9 days, but I will cut them lower before I leave. Epic-I charge by the cut not per month, so being there every week (though I always am anyway) isn't the major issue. I'm more concerned about how long the grass will get.

7. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

let them go for the nine days then deal with the growth if anyone asks why you were a few days late just say "with this heat i didn't want to over stress the grass"

8. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

VACATION? What is that?

9. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

WAIT!!! You guys have it ALL WRONG!!!!! When a customer goes on vacation, their grass stops growing....so doesnt it work the same when an LCO takes one????

10. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

15 lawns? Big deal you should be able to do those in your sleep even if they do get a little deep. Cut them all right before you go and as soon as you get back.