Going Organic

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Pristine1, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Pristine1

Pristine1 LawnSite Member
    from Maine

OK, just as I thought I was getting my head wrapped around a program, now I'm back to the beginning!LOL

So what is the difference between extraction and AACT???

2. Pristine1

from Maine

Yeah, that weed thing has been in the back of my head, but I think that will be a little more manageable. Worst case scenario, I have to spot spray. The way I will be selling it to my customers is that a healthy stand of turf is the best weed control, and the best way to get that is organically treating the soil. But don't worry, I'll most certainly have some questions about weeds!

3. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

The basic difference is you're stripping the microbes off the compost and not adding any foods for them to multiply. The microbes are kept in a dormant state, and then in turn have more "shelf life". 5-7 days typically. You will use roughly 5 times more compost. Some systems can do 3000 gallons per hour. You don't have the wait time to brew. This is used a lot on farms and systems that treat a lot of acreage.

4. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

brewed you grow out the biology and extracted you are just removing the existing biology............

5. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

poor poor leftover compost... it's all alone :cry:

:laugh:

6. Pristine1

from Maine

So brewed, we are basically creating our own concoction. Extracted, we only get what the compost has??? If one were to extract, then what makes the microbes active once they are applied?

One other question that I have is this: Up here, we don't begin to see warm (65+ degrees) regularly until late May. How will that affect the application of the microbes? Will the colder temps kill them, or do they just move a lot slower?

I ask that because I am trying to put together a bus. plan for this and just want to know when I would realistically be able to apply CT.

7. treegal1

well...........as soon as its above 40F, IMO ( hold on while i put on the flame suit) the compost tea, brewed or extracted is going to have nutrients and biology in it at almost any temp. how active or dormant the biology is??? its still there., try and brew at the soil temp. I think the real answer is what is the plant/grass doing, is it dormant or is it alive and growing, there by up-taking nutrients that it needs to grow. yes at low temps the thermophiles are going to take a hit but the mesophiles are going to still be there. some mesophiles, said to be psychrotolerant, exhibit slow growth at lower temperatures, they include soil microbes that must be able to survive temperature extremes. hope this helps some............

8. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

I think I agree. ;)

9. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

As long as the ground isn't frozen, you should be OK.
    Does it ever thaw in Maine? :laugh:

10. treegal1

dang it man, rod said you know it all:waving: