1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Going out of business...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CoachLinz, Oct 2, 2003.

1. CoachLinz

CoachLinz LawnSite Member

well, temporarily at least. I plan to start up again next spring. I mow part-time and teach high school full-time. I also coach soccer and a few weeks ago at practice, I tore something in my left knee. I have to have surgery to repair it in 2 weeks and it has gotten to the point that I can't mow any of my accounts that have hills or slopes of any kind. Really sucks because we need the money since my wife stopped workign to stay home with our kids, but I'll be on crutches for 6 weeks followed by 4 weeks of physical therapy so mowing is obviously out. I have a buddy who is taking over all of my lawns for the remainder of the season. So, I'll probably still hang around in here, but no more mowing for me until next year.
    To top it all off, my main work truck has a cracked block. If you know where I can get a used 305 cheap in Maryland or southern PA let me know. I'm about 30 minutes northeast of Baltimore. I can install it if I can find a cheap used engine.
  2. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

good luck coach! I hope you and the 305 work horse are both ready to go next spring!

3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

hope everything comes out good
  4. Rick Jones

Rick Jones LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

That really stinks. At least you were able to find somebody to cover for you until the end of the season. Best of luck to you.
  5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Well, get well soon! Atleast you'll be ready and rarin' to come out with a fresh start in the Spring!
  6. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

Good luck with the recovery, on both you and the truck.
    Too bad you couldn't just hire someone to mow your lawns all the time, and then you're really working the business!
    Anyways, I am in the same boat with the wife staying home with the kids, and it is well worth the extra work. I work as much as I possibly can just so that my wife can stay home with the kids. There is nothing wrong with day care for some people, but we feel this time in their lives it is most important to have a parent with them as much as possible. I don;t mind eating Mac & Cheese everyday to do so either!
    Good luck with the recovery.
  7. CoachLinz

CoachLinz LawnSite Member

I agree with you 100% TWINS. I'm working 3 jobs so she can stay home - teaching, coaching, and mowing/landscaping. Since I can't mow while I'm on crutches, I'm going to be teaching pitching and hitting lessons in the evenings to make up the difference (I coach baseball in the spring). Definitely worth it for her to stay home.
  8. Green in Idaho

Green in Idaho LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

OUCH. Good luck with the knee.

I tore miniscus two years ago. Symptoms were severe pain after walking too much in the knee. It felt like the fluid would leak out into the knee so I couldn't bend it. Not a lot of swelling or anything, just PAIN after walking too much. The PA said, "Oh it's just a sprain" since I could walk fine and in normal day it was not a problem until I put lateral pressure on the knee.

Surgery was to insert a pin on the flapping part of the miniscus. I was not even near 80% for about a year after wards. And I would not have wanted to be doing a lot of walking within 6 months of surgery. Even now, walking 18 holes of golf is rough on that knee.

I did my own therapy, but another person with the same injury at same time did the therapy and she had some "long" recovery period.

I used lots of Gluocosamine (over-the-counter) to help it before and after made a big difference before the surgury as far as reducing the pain.

Do you have a deal with the guy helping you out that a small portion comes to you since they are your accounts and you did the work to compile them?
  9. parkwest

parkwest LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with green. A small portion would be in the neighbor hood of a 70 - 30 split if I supplied the truck or 60-40 if he supplied the truck and then sign him to subcontract with all the legal stuff that goes along with it.

Hey coach share the wealth and hire someone. Don't be so greedy. lol
  10. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

Coach Sorry to hear about your knee,where is bel air?

What year is your truck?
    Let me check around we might get lucky on the motor .