Going Partners With Someone In The Same Business

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by smarino21, Jul 17, 2006.

1. smarino21

smarino21 LawnSite Senior Member

What Are You Opinions?

I Have A Freind Who Is In The Same Busniness As Me, Right Now I Got 2 Guys Working For Me And An Office In My Basement And Park Trailer At A Yard Type Of Set Up. My Freinds The Same Way I Was Wondering What Do You Guys Think Of Going Partners. I Would Say This Because We Could Combine Companys Then Would Have Lower Cost With More Income, Has Anyone Done This Or If So How Would You Do It Say You Handle All The Books And I Will Handle The Field?

2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

If you want to stay friends, don't become partners.

3. smarino21

Yea I Heard That Before But If You Where To Do This Right It Could Work I Mean As Far As Getting In Eachothers Way And ****, I Do My Part And He Does His Part. Im Sure There Is Alot Of Successful Partnerships Out There,

4. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

There are some but most get ugly..............

5. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Going in biz with a friend is a quick way to lose a friend. If it works out you will be one of the rare ones.

6. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

I would have never started my business if it was not fore my partner

We both had same thoughts, work habits & both had something the other needed .... thru the years it came to a point where my partner wanted too do something different ....n I bought him out .... we are still great friends ..... fantasy football, fishing & holiday stuff

My best advice would be .... what does the other bring too the table which I need or could learn from ... are we equally financial envolved .....are we equally bringing something of value too the business .... ie time on the job, money, putting in the extra time ..... together

One thing that started too get to me ....near the end (5 years) was .... after the work was done .... alot of little things need attention ....n I always did them .... he needed more family time .... so I gave in ....but I was the one at the shop on Sat ....doing the fixin

7. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

So you're saying you want to be partners, basically to save some expenses on storage????? I don't think that's a very good reason...

8. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

IN a book called E Myth revisited it reccommends being incorporated. Reccommended reading.

9. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes .... S corp here ... that's one thing my old partner brought too the table .... his wife is still my CPA .... he talked me into it ...n was one of the top 5 best things I ever did related too my business

The buy out was just that .... a trade of stock fore cash ...n the name stayed the same ..... assets (and liabilites) phone #, EIN etc

10. smarino21

Yea thats all good, i was just thinking it could work out better just to have the head aches split up and concentrate more on things that make money, advertising, marketing, appearance things like that. I am the one who would want to go partners more then him but the thing is i bring this to the table, more equipment, more accounts (and value) then him, more business knowledge, advertising exsperience**. But what would be a good reason for us to go partners, im not sayin for sure where gonna be partners im just saying is there something that i dont have that he could help me with, in turn we both do better?????