Going price of "river/egg rock"

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by gcbailey, Jun 22, 2013.

1. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

Is it me or has the price of rock increased a LOT over last year? I've checked with 5 places around here on their price of river/egg rock. The best I've found is $94/yard. Last year we were getting it around $68/yard. On top of that, the cheapest delivery I've found is $60 per 1 ton truck load (probably 5 yards).

2. Colaguy

Colaguy LawnSite Senior Member

Here rock is between 80-100 per ton depending on which rock you buy. Prices have stayed steady over the yrs.

3. Curious how many pounds is a yard of stone

4. gcbailey

from WV

The guy told me that 1/2 yd is about 1100lb... a scoop full on his skid steer. I don't know how accurate that is. I've found a wholesaler, but.... you have to purchase a minimum of 24 ton.

5. Toro 455

Toro 455 LawnSite Member

Yeah it's gone up a lot. The quarry where I'd been buying their "oversize" (anything that wouldn't fit thru their screens) for $6/ton went out of business.
    The landscaper supply guy next door bought the pit. He sells me the same stone for prices like you're talking about.

Are they selling it by the yard and measuring it by the pound?

5 yards would be a lot of weight on a 1-ton-truck. As much as 16,000# depending on the stone.

I'd look at the weigh slip and measure the bed of the truck delivering it to get a better idea of what I was paying for.

6. gcbailey

from WV

I've found a place about 50 miles away, apparently it's owned by the Nascar driver Greg Biffle... I'm going to get up with them tomorrow and see what they can do. www.triplebstone.com

7. gcbailey

from WV

Around here everyone is selling it "by the scoop".... and saying it's xxx pounds. Most scoops are 50" buckets on a respective Cat/Bobcat.

8. mcdow

mcdow LawnSite Member
    from NW Ohio

Here I get it for $30 a yard which is about a ton to a ton and a half. $94 a yard seems way high.

9. gcbailey

from WV

EVERYTHING mulch/rock around here has went up very noticeably since last year. Black mulch last year was $38/yard, this year $54/yard....

10. 94gt331

94gt331 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male

Wow your river rock prices are high. Here im my town 1ton of river rock is between 40-50 per ton. Depending on what size you get. Other decorative stone gets higher like red stone, white, salmon stone etc.