Going rate for lawn tech's

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by MLI, Dec 21, 2001.

1. MLI

MLI LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

Hey guys....
    Just ran into this lawn tech the other day, and started chewing the fat with him. He seemed kinda disgruntled about his current employment, and this that ,and the otherthing. I always like to hear stories of whats going on with the competion and how they treat their employees. From what I can get out of this guys story is that he's making $15 per hr, 1week vacation, no benefits, no bonus. He and 1 other guy handle 500+ accounts, and he alone was doing sales in the winters, and claims he closed 75 contracts for his employer, and never got a red cent or commission for them. Doesnt this seem kinda unfair?!?! My landscape foreman makes $17 per hr, 1 weeks vacation,and some benefits, also give him 10% commission on closed deals. Seems this poor guy is getting hammered!

2. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT LawnSite Senior Member

seems like he could have gotten bonus for new accts , but his base pay is pretty high already to add in health ins or other benies.......if it where landscaping or other i think he could make more but mowing alone you can only make soo much

3. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I beleave hes talking about a pesticide application technician.

4. MLI

MLI LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

Evan is correct....sorry if there was confusion. The guy was a fert and squirt guy with commercial app. lic.

5. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

One reason that TG-CL is billion dollar company.

I know a few that went out on their own and took accounts and made a nice little business.

6. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

We pay our guy about $15.50/hr. Also currently 1 week vacation, 2 sick, holidays and 50% health care. Have also offered simplified IRA where we match up to 3%. He has about 10 yrs exp. in lawn care w/ hi licemse and 12 yrs. exp total in field. He also does light welding repair and runs skid steer for us too when needed. I do have a small LCO, but this employee is a great asset!

7. Live2ride

Live2ride LawnSite Member
    from iowa

here in midwest licensed lawn applicators get anywhere from $7.00 / hr (TG CL) to ....??? we paid ours 400.00 wk tops. They handled 350-400 customers. some weeks they put in 50-55 hours. Most 40-45. yea...we didn't pay dink but... average guy was there 6 yrs.

8. morturf

morturf LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Ok, here goes.
    My main employee works about 1800 hrs/yr. He is salaried. This year he made $27.8k or about $15.44/hr. plus full health, and SIMPLE IRA. He gets 3 or 4 months off for the winter depending on the snow, during which he gets another job. He can take whatever he wants off in the summer as long as he gets his work done. This kid is amazing, he works hard, long hours in the summer. He has been with me for 10 years. This year he bought a house, I gave him a bonus to cover his closing costs. I would do anything for him cause he is like part of my family and is the best worker anybody has ever seen. He comes in on Sundays or stays till 11 pm if there is something that needs doing. Worth whatever I pay him.

9. MATTHEW

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

You guys are generous. Around here, the average rate is $8/hr
    to start. Licenced or not.

10. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

This is the Pesticide & Fertilizer Application Forum so there shouldn't be any confusion.