1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Going rate for laying sod

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by meets1, Jun 28, 2007.

1. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

I haven't laid sod for a long time due to alot of seeding. I have a bank were bidding on and there are alot of island areas that require sod. I have the price from the sod farm based upon footage but laying the sod is what gets me. What is the going rate now days for laying sod?
  2. image1

image1 LawnSite Member

In georgia we double the sod cosst or a little more bermuda 175 zoysia 300 centipede 225 thats sod and laying it per pallett and we charge to prep it.
  3. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

.85/ft with a $400 min. Purchased and installed.
  4. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

A pallet of centipede goes for $85 just for the sod and in my area rates vary from $30-120 per pallet to lay (we're between $50-75 depending on the number of pallets), plus prep which varies depending on size and what equip needs to be used.
  5. drmiller100

drmiller100 LawnSite Senior Member

a buck a square foot.

will drop to .60 a foot for large jobs if dirt and sprinklers are separate.

cost is .30 a foot delivered here, which i'm betting is higher then some.
  6. Focal Point Landscapes

Focal Point Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

As you can see , there is a wide variance on what folks think is the "going rate " - if you are just sodding islands , chances are that the volume is low compared to complexity of prep work and a lot of trimming and waste - means imo that you would have to bid this high to make a reasonable profit.
  7. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

I would bid by manhour rather than by sq/ft.

I agree with Focal Point 100%.

Bottom dollar for me is 100 dollars pallet(labor only) on truck load quanity.

Small jobs will run much more.
    Last small job was 7 pallets(500 sq/ft per pallet) of Bermuda installed for total cost of 2000.00.
    Around 500 dollars for material.
    Minimal grading.
  8. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

buying it for .19 to .25

charge .50 to .55 to just lay
    charge .40 to lay it topsoil is seperate
  9. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks guys - alot of ranges but I think I know where I'll price these island areas at.
  10. whiteslawnservices

whiteslawnservices LawnSite Member

In Arkansas say 25 pallets 2,500.00 plus top soil leveling 500.00 per 18 yard load you have to think of it this way time is money and most people hate laying sod because its labor intense:hammerhead: