1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Going rate for LEGAL hired help?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by HeloPilot, Jun 29, 2008.

1. HeloPilot

HeloPilot LawnSite Member
    from Texas

What is the going pay in the Houston area for LEGAL hired lawn technicians?

2. MowHouston

MowHouston LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a part time employee $10/hr. Started him at $9 for the first few weeks. Gave him $10 when I realized I got me a good worker and wanted to keep him around.

Another LCO down here pays his worker $10/hr.

I've called another LCO that was hiring to ask them how much they start their guys at. They said $7/hr with a bump to $8/hr after performance.

What you need to figure out is if you want cheap labor with high turnover, or good labor, with a less rate of turnover. :laugh:

Rates for foremen, I've seen around $10-$17/hr.

3. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

General labor for mowing and so on $8-$9hr depending on experience and landscapers with at least a couple years experience start out at $12hr seasoned landscapers with wall, patio, water feature experience and fencing start at $15hr.

4. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Last year I couldnt hire a guy for less than $17.
    This year I got guys begging for work willing to accept $12, depends on how much work is going on

5. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

$8-12, depending on experience, BS that i have to deal w/, and the normal crap that goes w/ having employees. i also pay more to the guys that drive more distance to work if theyre worth having. the guys end up netting the same, but its worth all of their time to come in. if they're worth having i pay them to reflect that. i think this is the going rate for our area.

6. Marvelous Gardens

Marvelous Gardens LawnSite Member

I pay my guys all $8 and if anyone of them would step up to the plate and run the show without me there, their pay would go up to $12

7. MileHigh

MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member

For residential work I pay workers $6 a lawn.

8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

You must have a high rate of unemployment in your area:confused:

9. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

he pays on a per lawn basis, not hour. 6 per lawn aint bad. little expensive if you're running 2 or more people. well depending on how big the lawn is of course

10. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

ths is called peice work, its how automechanics are paid.

$6 per lawn....you can do them by yourself, lets say you cut 20 in the same day... thats $120 per day 5 days a week is $600.
    IF its a a 40 hour week, that guy just pulled 15 an hour