Going rate for snowplow accounts

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by Strongmd, Dec 1, 2000.

1. Strongmd

Strongmd LawnSite Member

A small local company is selling their plowing route. It consists of 90 residential plow customers. He's had most of them for over 5 years. Is anyone familiar with how much they're worth?
    Thanks
    Matt
    Forever Green

2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman LawnSite Senior Member

I have always been weary of buying routes. Some can be sxpensive and there is no real gurantee that you will keep all the accounts. Also,I would ask to see the accounts and make sure that you can handle them. Find out what the accounts bring in. Will you need to purchase more equipment? These things must be thought of before you spend the money on the route.

3. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

We buy plow routes often.

We pay the equivilant of 2 plowings for the route. 1st payment is due 30 days after the first plowable snowfall. 2nd payment is due 30 days after the second plowable snowfall. This is payable only on those accounts we 1) elect to retain, or 2) that stay with us.

In a market that gets little snowfall, maybe only pay for one plowable event.

Might seem cheap... but buying another's route is risky business all around. However, I will say that if you get the right route (with commercial customers), it can pay off big time.

We often keep the commercial accounts and sell off the residential accounts. Of course, we want the equivilant of 4 plowable events (in a market that gets 25 events regularly). Gotta make money on the resale !!

[Edited by John Allin on 12-01-2000 at 07:50 PM]

4. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

It all depends on HOW CLOSE THEY ARE. And how much they pay.

They could be worth $15,000 in the right scenario.

In the wrong scenario, they might not be worth anything.

What do they pay/year?
    How long does it take?
    How man MILES to drive through the route?
    ~Post an answer to those questions and I'll post a value based on the residential route sales I've been involved with.

90 driveways? What did the guy do the rest of the night? ;)

5. Doug406

Doug406 LawnSite Member

Are contractors coming to you John or do you advertise these buyouts?

6. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

No.... they walk in. Word is out that we do this, so we draw them. We get alot of local press because of our size, so most of the small guys know that they can come to us if they're getting out of the biz for some reason. Same with landscape. The deal is different, and we usually buy them to get their people and/or equipment more than their accounts.

7. Strongmd

Strongmd LawnSite Member

John, can you give a quick profile of what the snow side of your business is like?
    Thanks
    Matt Strong

8. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

Hmmm.... None of the SIMA Mags I have contain a contractor profile for John's company. In fact I only saw one profile. Maybe there should be a profile in each issue, and maybe we can start with John in the next one? I think I've seen his company profiled in a different mag. but I can't find it right now. Do I remember correctly?

9. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

go to http://www.timesnews.com
    that will bring you to another site, but its basically an Erie newspaper on line. On the left, in the search box, type "allin" and you will read a profile on Allin Co from last sunday.
    Dino

10. PINEISLAND1

PINEISLAND1 LawnSite Member
    from WEST MI

Thanks Dino!

That is really impressive John. I knew I respected you, just didn't realize how much!!