Going Shopping Tomorrow!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Simone Lawn Service, Oct 1, 2003.

1. Simone Lawn Service

Simone Lawn Service LawnSite Member

Someone bought my lawn equipment tonight. Lock, stock, and barrel! He made me a really good offer, and I'd been wishing I could just sell it all as a package and buy new. Well, I did keep my new Toro Proline and my hedge trimmers. Tomorrow I am going shopping! And you thought your wives could spend money!
    New trailer, blower, trimmer, and the Holy Grail of lawn mowers...04' LAZER Z 27HP 60"!!! Too bad I only have another 4-6 weeks of mowing left-Oh well!!!:D :D :D

2. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Well you're going to feel like Christmas came early with all the shopping for new equipment that'll be setting in your shop for the winter.

3. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

Simone lawn care: So ya ditched the SS ay??

I am so happy for you as I know you have been having a few Issues with the Surfer latley.............. The Lazer should do a daam fine job for ya.

I have never been "Shoping" like that before, I always buy my gear one tool/mower at a time.

Have fun mate!!!..............Good luck too.

4. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

and you can claim the entire cost of the equipment for this years taxes if you want to. I forget what the cap is for expensing new equip but its pretty generous(35k?? maybe?) with the tax changes to encourage small businesses to purchase equip and not have to wait to depreciate it

5. heybruck34

heybruck34 LawnSite Senior Member

Expensing election is $25,000 to the extent you have income. In other words- you cannot elect to expense equipment purchases (fixed assets) unless you have income to cover. This means 10K of income- you can expense 10K of your purchases to net you to zero. This is an ELECTION you must make on your 03 tax return or you will take the Basis Reduction described next.

You also have the option of a 50% basis reduction immediately and, depending on the equipment, normal depreciation of the remaining 50% basis. This means you buy 10K of equipment, take $5,000 right now as a deduction, add an additional 20% if it is 5 year property, and you end up with $7K deduction in the first year. This CAN generate a tax loss for you which is nice.

Assuming your accountant is up on the latest tax laws (Job Creation and Worker Assistance Act I think) signed by Pres. Bush, he should be able to explain which fits your situation the best.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

6. kevincook

kevincook LawnSite Member
    from ny

The Section 179 Expense deduction increased to $100,000 this year as part of the "The Jobs and Growth Tax Relief Reconciliation Act of 2003".

Everything just went on sale!

7. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

I thought I read/head that they increased it big time for 2003....time to go boost the economy!!

8. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

Well if you are going to the store can you pick me up a few things. LOL

9. heybruck34

heybruck34 LawnSite Senior Member

they are correct. My reference book is a little dated. Woops.

10. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Simone,
    Enjoy yourself!
    Spend wisely though.
    Merry Christmas!:p