Lawn Care Forum banner

Going skid rate

14K views 68 replies 26 participants last post by  jrs.landscaping 
#1 ·
I'm problay going to get a skid and wanted to know what's te going skid rate for tracked skid steers it would be a cat 279 I just Cana know what the going rate is for operator and skid
Posted via Mobile Device

#3 ·
Thts a pretty big machine for landscape work. Depends on the type of work. I charge anywhere from $85/hr to $150/hr with a 4hr minimum. Or i price the job bybthe day. To many variablse. Everybody will have a different number. What do you plan to pull this skid with?
Posted via Mobile Device

#12 ·
Figure out your total cost per hour. That includes fuel, maintenance, depreciation ($ towards a future replacement machine), operator pay, etc.

With the skid steer and pusher I use for snow it's 85/hour with the minimum time charged depending on several things but typically one to two hour minimum. I wouldn't personally run for anything less than 85/hr, though you will be competing with billybobs excavating with their pos 1985 bobcat that they charge by the case of beer for. your operating costs will be higher with tracks and undercarriages as I've found doing research and with a few friends that have mtls and ctls. Don't know how much research you've done on your costs.

I wouldn't think of pulling either of those machines with a half ton. The trailer required alone is IMO too much for a half ton pickup. Let alone with a 9-11k CTL on it

#14 ·
Figure out your total cost per hour. That includes fuel, maintenance, depreciation ($ towards a future replacement machine), operator pay, etc.

With the skid steer and pusher I use for snow it's 85/hour with the minimum time charged depending on several things but typically one to two hour minimum. I wouldn't personally run for anything less than 85/hr, though you will be competing with billybobs excavating with their pos 1985 bobcat that they charge by the case of beer for. your operating costs will be higher with tracks and undercarriages as I've found doing research and with a few friends that have mtls and ctls. Don't know how much research you've done on your costs.

I wouldn't think of pulling either of those machines with a half ton. The trailer required alone is IMO too much for a half ton pickup. Let alone with a 9-11k CTL on it
the truck rated for 6500 i believe towing ive towed about 7k and had problay about 2 k or river rock in the bed itll be overloaded for now but it should work for the short time ill be using it to tow for

#15 ·

the truck rated for 6500 i believe towing ive towed about 7k and had problay about 2 k or river rock in the bed itll be overloaded for now but it should work for the short time ill be using it to tow for
rated for 6500 means trailer and all. But if you wanna deal with DOT you go ahead and over load that 1500.

#16 ·
That machine weights in at 9,000lbs plus attachments. A good trailer to haul it on is going to weight in at 2,500lbs and a bucket and forks will be another 1,200lbs. You'll need to carry fuel for it that will be another 700lbs for a 75 gallon transfer tank. Don't forget to tie all that gear down maybe 100lbs in securement gear. We are at 13,500lbs of gear just to do basic CTL work, I feel bad for your 1/2ton truck or anyone that is on the road ahead of you.

#17 ·
I very very rarely work by the hour because if you do that is all you are going to make, but i cost my tracked machine out at minimum 110 /hr.

Towing 12-13k with a half ton is pretty crazy. I dont want to discourage you but not only is it extremely hard on your 1/2 tonne that is rated to tow half that weight, it is very very dangerous. If you happen to get into an accident and your insurance finds out , you will be in one heck of a law suit from them and the person you hurt.

Might be best to get the proper truck before you get the machine. In the end it will save you a lot of head aches and $$$

#18 ·
I was scared to pull my 4400 with bush hog with a 150 and that's half the weight of your skid steer. Find someone with a bigger truck to move it for you. It's not worth it.

Even loading the skid onto the trailer, you can pop the Parking pawl off in the transmission
Posted via Mobile Device

#19 ·
The only way I'm buying it is if I secure a job right down the street from my house I'd just drive it 5 mins their and back I don't plan on using it everyday so the truck situation is fine until I get a bigger one sometime spring I know I shouldent pull it with the half ton but it wouldent be pulling it all the time Mabey a few till I get a bigger truck and I need be I know people who's trucks I could tow it with
Posted via Mobile Device

#22 ·
im notbuying it for one job but if i dont get this job i wont buy one the tracked machine i would rent runs me 500 a day from my cat rental place with the harley rake i would need i would get a used skid and my payment could be 600 a month it makes more sinse to me to buy and i have other jobs i could use it for also

#23 ·
I give you lots of credit for being 14 and starting your own business. We need more young people like you, solid word of advice is to borrow the least amount of money when starting your business until you have the clientele, and work schedule to support you. It is much easier to make it through a slow slump in your business when you dont have large payments to make every month. My advise would be dont buy a machine until you have a large enough yearly rental bill to justify it, save your money and try to buy something mabee a little older and pay for it cash, or at least most of it.

Best of luck, and keep us updated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.