1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Going the "extra mile"... do you?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by A1 Grass, Nov 12, 2003.

1. A1 Grass

A1 Grass LawnSite Senior Member

Ok. I know that doing your best work is always important. Going the "extra mile" is also good as long as you don't do it in a way that it's expected. How far do you go to keep a good customer - and where do YOU draw the line?

For example. Let's say we're talking about a standard mow - do you throw anything in to make it nicer?
  2. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

I spose that depends on the account.

But...yeh I'll do what ever it take's to make the property top-notch without comprimising my time too much.

For instance

A bit of hand weeding (not alot) but if there are large ugly weed I'll rip em.

Blowing all the verandahs and porches for em.

Making sure all the irigation is in good working order.

I give most regular customers a qaurterly written report and recomendations on the general condition of the property and how to improve.

Some clients get these benifits cause I have bennifted from our long service relationship. If I see somthing coming my way (It could be that they are just nice people) I like to give it back.
    Some other customers would be lucky to get a double cut if there are a few stringers
    Some others I fell are just lucky I even service thier property at all and the only "extras" they would recive would be a termination of service notice.

For me it all depends on the customer,account, how long I have serviced the property for and the quoted scope of work.
  3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Doing a double cut is a nice way of going the extra mile...so is some hand weeding as pinnacle brought up. And using a grass catcher around the entrance ways and/or pool area is just one more thing you can do.
  4. T Edwards

T Edwards LawnSite Member

ALWAYS do more than the customer expects. That was a good response, Pinnacle. My partner and I started out this past April with zero accounts and we just passed the 40 mark this week....all from referrals. Everyone is so used to getting shoddy service (fast food restaurants, auto repair, it's everywhere) that it's basically very easy to stand out from the rest. Every site we finish we stand back and check out the curb appeal and say "Oh, yeah. Could be yard-of-the-month".

There is unrest in the forest, There is trouble with the trees
    For the maples want more sunlight and the oaks ignore their pleas!

That's cool, A1
  5. the scaper

the scaper LawnSite Senior Member

good customer-yes. PITA-no!
  6. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

I guess you're a rush fan,eh?
    Boy I'm getting old remembering things like that.
    Good customers deserve good service. Usually a little extra cleanup just to spruce things up a bit.Particularly at this time of year.
  7. A1 Grass

A1 Grass LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks T Edwards - My thanks to RUSH/the Trees for the words!

I have learned a lot about NOT giving away your work or letting your customer set your price here at LawnSite. The area I'm in has a lot of competition. I guess the only way I can do well without giving in on my price is to do more than the customer expects. You have to separate yourself from others by doing that extra little bit. Of course as theScaper mentioned, no PITAs!
  8. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

People have become accustomed to settling for an okay or average job. When you do the job properly, not necessarily doing extras, but just what your contract states, it goes a long way. For instance, making sure that when you blow off a property, everything gets blown away from the doors and windows, all hardscapes blown off. Make sure that all beds get trimmed vertically as well as horizontally to maintain a crisp edge. Make sure lawn is mowed in a different direction each time.

Sure spot weeding is okay, as well as a few other little things, but if you do your job properly w/ pride, you'll be a step ahead of the competition.
  9. the scaper

the scaper LawnSite Senior Member

well said turfdude.
  10. BrianK10

BrianK10 LawnSite Senior Member
    from usa

I try to do my customers lawns as I would want mine done if I were paying someone. Doing something here and there every now and again is no biggie for me. One thing that REALLY irritates me is how scrubs that I see mowing lawns around here blow all the grass clippings into the middle of the street, and then look at me like I'm stupid when I'm standing there thinking "WTF are you doing?!" GRRR! :angry: